Greg D. Corbin
I enjoy helping my clients achieve their goals in the most cost-effective way possible. Most of my practice involves representing natural resource users, including the forest products industry and its trade associations, food producers and processors, ranchers, and water suppliers. I also have worked with mining companies, real estate developers, irrigation districts, energy developers, and natural gas, electricity and water utilities. I represent my clients in real estate and water rights transactions, conservation deals, mergers & acquisitions, commercial contracts, regulatory compliance, obtaining development permits and approvals, and dispute resolutions.
Before joining Stoel Rives I was a judicial clerk to the Honorable Susan M. Leeson of the Oregon Supreme Court, a summer associate at Stoel Rives, a judicial extern with the Honorable Robert E. Jones, U.S. District Court, and a student law clerk at the Oregon Department of Justice in the Appellate Division and Natural Resources Section of the General Counsel Division. In law school I was an associate editor of Environmental Law.
- Led transaction team representing Green Diamond Resource Company in its acquisition of approximately 600,000 acres of timberlands in southern Oregon.
- Represented forest products company in acquisition of locomotives and negotiation of rail services contract.
- Represented Brookfield Asset Management/Longview Timber in its $2.65 billion sale of Longview Timber to Weyerhaeuser.
- Assisted two forest products industry trade associations in drafting legislation to address liability associated with wildfires.
- Represented an associations of ranchers (Upper Klamath Water User’s Association) in multi-year negotiations with stakeholders, including Klamath Tribes, United States, Sate of Oregon, environmental organizations, and other irrigation interests, concerning water, power and tribal treaty rights disputes that resulted in a series of comprehensive settlement agreement.
- Represented a large timberland owner in drafting and negotiating a long-term log supply agreement with a lumber mill operator.
- Acted as outside general counsel to a large commercial timberland operating with holdings in Oregon and Washington. Represented them in numerous real property transactions, conservation transactions, granting and obtaining easements, rights of way and leases, negotiating cell tower leases, drafting of master forms of contracts for logging, road construction and maintenance, access and property use, and other independent services agreements. Oversaw the firm’s work in all areas, including financing, litigation, employment advice, and regulatory compliance.
- Represented private forest products company in $168.5 million secured loan transaction.
- Represented timberland investment fund in conservation sales of property to the Trust for Public Lands
- Represented a partnership of ranchers in acquisition of additional irrigated ranch property in southern Oregon, including formation of partnership entity.
- Represented food producer and processor in acquisition of irrigated farmland, farm lease, and acquisition of site suitable for construction of processing facility in Washington.
- Represented private forest products company in sale of former forest products mill site to a conservation organization.
- Represented a timberland owner in negotiating and drafting a working forest conservation easement agreement.
- Represented private forest products company in an asset acquisition of a specialty manufacturing and distribution company.
- Counsel to municipal water utility concerning acquiring and transferring water rights, water source and conservation planning, obtaining limited licenses, and obtaining an exemption from the Oregon Water Resources Commission's basin plan.
- Provided advice to multiple timberland owners in Oregon and Washington concerning Clean Water Act requirements for stormwater runoff from forest roads.
- Represented landowner in negotiating long-term ground lease for tribal access and fisheries restoration projects.
- Represented public timber REIT on real estate and related matters in the sale of approximately 25,000 acres of timberlands in Wisconsin and Arkansas.
- Defended an in-stream water right transfer and negotiated settlement with neighboring landowner.
- Represented a timberland owner in Oregon negotiating a biomass fuel supply agreement with a biomass energy developer.
- Represented private timberland company in sale of approximately 16,000 acres of timberland in Oregon.
- Represented a public timber REIT in the sale of timber deeds in Arkansas.
- Lead transaction team representing Green Diamond Resource Company in bid process, negotiation and sale of approximately 115,000 acres of timberland in Oregon.
- Advised a forest industry trade group and its members in protests and negotiations concerning U.S. Bureau of Land Management and Forest Service timber sales programs.
- Represented public timber REIT in acquisition of approximately 179,000 acres of timberland in multiple Idaho counties, sale of approximately 25,000 acres in Arkansas, and other timberland real property matters in corporate reorganization.
- Represented private timberland and mill owner concerning real estate aspects of a $150 million secured loan facility.
- Represented private timber REIT in real property and timberland management aspects for a $1.0 billion secured loan facility.
- Represented foreign asset management company in due diligence, financing, and acquisition of a public timberland REIT comprising over 650,000 acres of timberlands in Oregon and Washington and numerous mill and manufacturing facilities.
- Represented private timberland owner in sale of approximately 82,000 acres of timberlands in Washington and separate sale of approximately 147,000 acres of timberlands in Washington to multiple buyers.
- Represented private forest products company in multiple sales of approximately 130,000 acres of timberland in Northern California.
- Counsel to natural gas pipeline developer regarding compliance with the National Historic Preservation Act.
- Counsel to wind energy developer in negotiations with U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service and state agencies in Kansas concerning impacts of wind project to avian species.
- Counsel to multiple parties in administrative litigation seeking certification of water rights in Oregon's Klamath Basin General Stream Adjudication.
- Counsel to mineral sands developer in acquiring permits under Section 404 of the Clean Water Act and Oregon's wetland fill-removal law, and Endangered Species Act Section 7 consultation.
- Counsel to destination golf course developer in acquiring permits under Section 404 of the Clean Water Act and Oregon's wetland fill-removal law, Endangered Species Act Section 7 consultation, and land use approvals.
- Counsel to wind energy developer in obtaining Section 404 Clean Water Act permit and associated Endangered Species Act Section 7 consultation for wind energy project in Pennsylvania.
- Represented landowner in negotiations with U.S. Forest Service concerning water rights and point of diversion transfer on National Forest land.
- Represented energy developer seeking a site certificate from the Oregon Energy Facility Siting Council for a gas-fired power plant.
- Represented landowner in opposition to U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service's critical habitat designation under the Endangered Species Act.
- Represented landowner before Oregon Water Resources Department and Oregon Water Resources Commission in opposition to agreement affecting client's property.
- Represented multiple wind energy developers seeking site certificates from the Oregon Energy Facility Siting Council to construct and operate commercial wind farms in Oregon.
Selected Presentations & Publications
- Upper Klamath Basin Settlement”, The Seminar Group, 23rd Annual Water Law Conference, Sept. 6-7, 2014.
- Moderator, “Regulatory Landscape”, World Forestry Institute, Who Will Own the Forest? 10, Sept. 16-18, 2014
- "Growing Trends in Forest Offset Projects: The legal landscape of development for the California carbon market," Stoel Rives Forest Products Industry Webinar, Nov. 19, 2013
- Moderator, “Regulatory Landscape”, World Forestry Institute, Who Will Own the Forest? 9, Sept. 17-19, 2013
- "Fire & Water: Legal Developments in Fire Liability Law and the Clean Water Act," University of Georgia, 2013 Timberland Investment Conference, Feb. 27 - Mar. 1, 2013
- "Expanding Federal Regulation of Timberlands Through Litigation," Oregon Society of Certified Public Accountants, Forest Products Conference, June 28, 2012
- "Forest Roads Case: NEDC v Decker," Western Forestry Conservation Association - Road Drainage Workshop, June 8, 2012
- Co-chair and presenter, "Pacific Northwest Timberlands Management", Seminar Group, Apr. 26-27, 2012
- "Forest Roads Case: NEDC v. Brown, Ruling, Status and Implications," National Council for Air and Stream Improvement, Western Regional Meeting, Sept. 2011
- "Timber, Water & Owls, Will the Fun Never Stop?," Annual Meeting, Oregon and Washington Societies of CPAs, June 2011
- "Timberlands & Water Quality, Lessons from Clean Water Act Case Law," National Council for Air and Stream Improvement, Northern Regional Meeting, May 2011
- "Timberlands & Water Quality, Lessons from the Pacific Northwest and Beyond," University of Georgia, 2011 Timberland Investment Conference, Mar. 2011
- "Environmental and Energy Issues Relevant to US Timberlands Owners and Investors," World Forestry Institute, Who Will Own the Forest? 6, Sept. 22, 2010
- Co-chair and presenter, "Pacific Northwest Timberlands: Illegal Logging and the Lacey Act Amendments," Seminar Group, Feb. 25 & 26, 2010
- Organizer and presenter, "Managing a Dynamic Legal Landscape: The Lacey Act & Illegal Logging," Stoel Rives LLP Seminar Series, World Forestry Center, Oct. 27, 2009
- Organizer and presenter, "What's a Tree Worth?: The Business of Forest Carbon," Stoel Rives LLP Seminar Series, Weyerhaeuser Corporate Headquarters, Oct. 24, 2008
- Co-chair and presenter, "Pacific Northwest Timberlands: A Changing Industry," The Seminar Group, Feb. 28 & 29, 2008
- "Business Opportunities: Initiating Dialog Between the Forestry and Renewable Energy Industries," Stoel Rives LLP Seminar Series, World Forestry Center, June 28, 2007
- "The Oregon Forest Practices Act" (author), Environmental and Natural Resources Law, Oregon State Bar, 2006 Supp.
- "The Federal and Oregon Endangered Species Act" (coauthor), Environmental and Natural Resources Law, Oregon State Bar, 2002 & 2006 Supp.
- Member, American Bar Association (Forestry and Environment, Energy, and Natural Resources Sections)
- Member, Oregon State Bar Association (Administrative Law and Environmental and Natural Resources Sections)
- Member, Oregon Forest Industries Council
- Member, Washington Forest Protection Association, Legal Committee
- Member, Forest Landowners Association
- Contributor, National Alliance of Forest Owners, Legal Committee
- Professional Member, Society of American Foresters and Executive Committee Chair for Policy and Legislation, Portland Chapter
- Northwestern School of Law of Lewis & Clark College, J.D., 1999, cum laude
Natural Resource and Environmental Law Certificate
- Yale School of Forestry and Environmental Studies, M.F.S., 1994
- Xavier University, B.S., Biology, 1990, cum laude
Print to Word
- U.S. District Court for the District of Oregon