Claire J. Mitchell
Claire Mitchell is an associate in the Technology and Intellectual Property group. Claire focuses her practice primarily on regulatory compliance and risk management within the food, beverage, animal feed, dietary supplement and agribusiness industries. Specifically, Claire counsels companies of all sizes in those industries on food safety compliance which often includes reviewing standard operating procedures, current good manufacturing practices, HACCP compliance, protocols for handling a government inspection, responses to an FDA Form 483 or Warning Letter, product recall strategy, and compliance with the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act and Food Safety Modernization Act. In addition, Claire advises clients on product labeling, marketing, advertising, and packaging to ensure compliance with the Federal Trade Commission Act, the Fair Packaging and Labeling Act, and the Food Allergen Labeling and Consumer Protection Act.
Claire applies her experience and knowledge of the food, beverage, and agribusiness industries when providing advice and counsel to companies on mergers, acquisitions, financings, and other strategic corporate transactions as well as during various contract negotiations. In addition, Claire works with clients on trademark matters including risk management, protection strategies, registration, maintenance and conflicts.
Prior to joining Stoel Rives, Claire was an Associate with Marler Clark LLP in Seattle, WA where she represented victims of foodborne illnesses such as E. coli, Salmonella, and Listeria, assisted in the investigation of foodborne illness outbreaks, and regularly communicated with officials at federal, state and local regulatory agencies.
Claire blogs on the Food Liability Law blog and the Alcoholic Beverages Law blog and has been published in the Food and Drug Law Institute's Update and the American Agricultural Law Association's Agricultural Law Update.
Professional Honors & Activities
- Member, American Agricultural Law Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Agribusiness Seminar, Harvard Business School Executive Education, Jan. 2014
- "FDA Will Likely Move to Ban Trans Fats, but the Industry is Ready for It," LXBN TV, Nov. 27, 2013
- "GMO Labeling Legislation: Status Update on Initiative 522,"Autumn Assembly, Northwest Food Processors Association, Portland, OR, Oct. 1, 2013.
- "Panel Discussion on GMO Labeling," GMO's: Agricultural Law & Biotechnology, The Seminar Group, Seattle, WA, Jul. 26, 2013
- "Looking Ahead to Washington State's Legalized Marijuana Marketplace," LXBN TV, Jan. 24, 2013
- "Food Liability 101: How to Avoid Litigation," Getting Your Recipe to Market: Entrepreneurial Development Series, Portland, OR, Oct. 16, 2012
- "Battle Over Labeling Genetically Modified Food Continues," Law360, Dec. 19, 2012
- "Stoel Rives Washington Initiative 502 Licensing Cheat Sheet (PDF)" Nov. 2012
- "Spotlight on California's Food Labeling Lunge," Law360, Sept. 7, 2012
- "California GE Ballot Initiative Could Be a Game Changer," Guide to U.S. Food Labeling Law, August 2012
- "A Call For Labeling Genetically Engineered Foods," Law360, Apr. 12, 2012
- "BPA's Expiration Date May Be On Its Way," Law360, Mar. 23, 2012
- "Student's Corner: Increased Surveillance for a Safer Food System," Update (Food and Drug Law Institute), May/June 2011
- "Case Law Update: Keepseagle v. Vilsack," Agricultural Law Update, Apr. 2011
- University of Arkansas School of Law, LL.M., Food and Agricultural Law, candidate, 2012 (expected)
- Hofstra University School of Law, J.D., 2010
Articles Editor, Hofstra Labor & Employment Law Journal
- Villanova University, B.A., English, 2007, magna cum laude
Print to Word
- New York, Second Judicial Department