Carissa Beecham is an associate in the firm's Litigation group. Her practice focuses on complex business litigation, representing both public and private clients in pre-trial discovery and motion practice through appeals, and in negotiating complex settlement agreements. She has specific experience in environmental contamination (groundwater, CERCLA and flood), CEQA litigation, and land use law. She is the current Chair of the firm's Associate Committee.
Before joining Stoel Rives, Carissa practiced as an associate with Greenberg Traurig LLP, and Best Best & Krieger LLP. In 2007, she was a law clerk for the U.S. Attorney's Office, Eastern District of California, and served as a legislative research intern for a lobbying firm from 2003 to 2006.
- Obtained TRO and Preliminary Injunction limiting sale of collateral property pending satisfaction of loan, resulting in favorable early settlement of dispute.
- Assisted internal investigation, including conducting interviews, summarizing documents, and preparing final report.
- Defended municipality in complex groundwater contamination and toxic tort litigation, resulting in successful Motion for Summary Adjudication and pretrial settlement.
- Represented municipality in CERCLA litigation.
- Successfully defended public agency in writ action.
- Successfully defended municipality in election law dispute, resulting in dismissal on demurrer and denial of motion for reconsideration.
- Obtained favorable attorneys' fee award for municipality and successfully defended on appeal.
Professional Honors & Activities
- Member, Sacramento County Bar Association
- Member, Midtown Neighborhood Association
- Member, Crocker Art Museum
- Member, MetroEDGE
- "California Buyer's Remorse Litigation: The Latest Round of ILSA Litigation is Further Complicated by California's Subdivided Lands Act" (coauthor), California Real Property Journal, Spring 2012
- University of California Davis School of Law, J.D., 2007
Order of the Coif, Top 5%
Witkin Award, Criminal Procedure
Judge Recruitment Chair, U.C. Davis Moot Court Board
Member, Traynor Moot Court competition team
- University of California, Davis, B.A., Political Science, 2004
Academic Achievement Award, Political Science
Print to Word
- U.S. District Court for the Central, Eastern and Northern District of California