Alexandra L. Mertens
Alexandra Mertens is an attorney in the Corporate practice group. She is experienced in counseling emerging and established clients on a variety of business transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, capital raising, governance and commercial contract negotiation.
In particular, Alex is experienced in energy finance matters and advises developers on issues concerning the acquisition, development, financing, and sale of energy projects.
Before joining Stoel Rives, Alex was a senior associate at Fredrikson & Byron, P.A. in Minneapolis (2006-2011).
- Represented Kina'ole Capital Partners, LLC in a $10 million debt and $13 million tax equity financing of a residential solar fund comprising over 1,000 systems in Hawaii.
- Represented Capital Dynamics in the tax equity financing of the first phase of the 300 MW Green Pastures wind project in Texas.
- Represented Capital Dynamics in the tax equity financing of an 11.5 MW portfolio of solar projects in Massachusetts and California.
- Represented AltaGas Power Holdings (US) Inc. in the acquisition of Caithness Blythe II, LLC, including development assets relating to its proposed 569 MW combined cycle power plant.
- Represented a private investment firm in the tax equity financing of a 25 MW portfolio of nine solar projects.
- Represented a private international investment firm in its investment in two solar developers with a combined portfolio totaling approximately 400 MW.
- Represented Altagas Idemitsu Joint Venture Limited Partnership in acquiring a majority interest in Petrogas Energy Corp.
- Represented Capital Dynamics in a tax equity financing with an institutional investor for an approximately 33 MW portfolio of solar projects in Massachusetts and California.
- Represented a subsidiary of AltaGas Ltd. in its acquisition of the Blythe Energy Facility, a 507 MW natural gas-fired combined cycle plant and related 230 kV 67-mile electric transmission line in Southern California, valued at $515 million.
- Represented ImMODO International Corporation (a subsidiary of ImMODO Solar, S.A.) in the drafting and negotiation of purchase and sale agreements with an institutional investor for a portfolio of 15 solar photovoltaic projects in Tulare County, California.
- Represented Hudson Energy Solar Corp. (a subsidiary of Just Energy Group Inc.) in a $12 million construction and $6.5 million permanent debt financing with Seminole Financial Services, LLC, and a $7 million tax equity financing with an institutional investor, for a portfolio of solar projects in New Jersey.
- Represented Capital Dynamics in the acquisition and tax equity financing of a 12.8 MW solar project on Long Island.
- Represented Enel Green North America in negotiating a $375 million cash equity partnership agreement with GE Financial Services for a 235 MW wind project in Oklahoma.
- Represented organic waste to energy company in multiple acquisitions of green waste composting facilities and development assets in California.
- Represented AltaGas in the acquisition of Decker Energy International, an independent power company, which owns a 50 percent interest in a 48 MW biomass power facility in North Carolina and a 30 percent working interest in a 37 MW biomass power facility in Michigan.
- Represented U.S.-based wind energy components manufacturer in multiple private equity sponsored add-on acquisitions and capital raising efforts ranging from approximately $12 million to $140 million.
- Represented a national distributor of fuel products and services in an approximately $100 million acquisition by a global leader in fuel logistics, products and services.
- Represented U.S. developer in a "partnership flip" transaction structured to monetize production tax credits, financed by strategic tax-equity investor, valued at approximately $100 million.
- Represented U.S. developer in a "partnership flip" transaction utilizing the Section 1603 Cash Grant valued at approximately $80 million.
Professional Honors & Activities
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Washington State Bar Association
- Member, The District of Columbia Bar
- Member, Minnesota State Bar Association
- Member, Women in Wind Energy
- "Utilizing State and Federal Incentives to Finance Your Wind Project," Fredrikson & Byron's Midwest Wind Development Conference, 2010
- Partner (2012-present), Vice-Chair, Environmental Collective Action Team (2014), Social Venture Partners
- Pro bono legal counsel, Minnesota Film and Television Board, 2009-2011
- Director, Election Protection; member, Finance Committee, Ashwin Madia for U.S. Congress, 2008
- "CFIUS Intervenes in Chinese-Owned Wind Project" (coauthor), Stoel Rives Energy Law Alert, Sept. 24, 2012
- "President Signs 2010 Tax Relief Act Extending 1603 Cash Grant" (coauthor), FredALERT: Renewable Energy, 2010
- "Notice 2009-52: Election of ITC in Lieu of PTC" (coauthor), FredALERT: Energy, 2009
- "American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 – Wind Energy Provisions" (coauthor), FredALERT: Renewable Energy, 2009
- University of Michigan Law School, J.D., 2006
- Haverford College, B.A., Economics, 2001
Print to Word
- District of Columbia