Kory D. Christensen
Kory Christensen is a partner in Stoel Rives' Intellectual Property group. He has a global practice with clients in China, Hong Kong, Korea, Sweden, and throughout the United States. His practice emphasizes domestic and international patent procurement in the software, computer, and medical device industries. A substantial portion of Kory's practice is also dedicated to intellectual property counseling, due diligence, strategic patent analysis, intellectual property enforcement, and opinion letters regarding patent validity and infringement.
Active in the national legal scene, Kory co-authored a book on patent reform published by Thomson Reuters. He regularly speaks at national and international conferences on patent-related issues. Although his legal practice is primarily outside of Utah, he is still very much involved locally, serving as Chair of the Intellectual Property Section of the Utah State Bar and as an adjunct professor of law at the University of Utah College of Law.
Representative WorkPatent Procurement and Portfolio Management
Due Diligence and Litigation Counseling
- Prepared and prosecuted hundreds of patent applications to issuance.
- Developed strategies for building several portfolios with 100+ U.S. and foreign patents, including a portfolio of nearly 300 patents and applications for the largest medical device manufacturer in China.
- Assisted a worldwide leader in digital media in creating a portfolio of 200+ patents that was subsequently sold for over $100,000,000.
- Developed a portfolio of over 200 patents and applications for a venture of Paul G. Allen, co-founder of Microsoft, including more than a dozen patents in which Mr. Allen was a co-inventor.
- Assisted a client with obtaining some of the pioneering patents on user-interface technology that is currently ubiquitous in game consoles and other consumer electronics.
- Assisted in the due diligence for a major acquisition by a Silicon Valley company involving some key patents in the computer industry.
- Successfully sent the patent portfolio of a company that was harassing a client into re-examination, which effectively ended the lawsuit against the client.
- Brought a successful patent infringement suit against one of the world's largest software manufacturers on behalf of a client and negotiated the terms of the settlement agreement.
Professional Honors & Activities
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America®, 2014-2015
- Selected as one of "America's Leading Lawyers for Business" (Utah) by Chambers USA (currently: Intellectual Property), 2012-2014
- Listed in Mountain States Super Lawyers® (Intellectual Property, Intellectual Property Litigation), 2012-2015
- Recognized as an IP Star (as published by Managing Intellectual Property), 2013-2014
- Selected as one of Utah's top intellectual property lawyers in Utah Business magazine's "Utah's Legal Elite," 2006-2015
- Adjunct Professor of Law, University of Utah College of Law, "International Intellectual Property Law"
- "Should Software be Patenable? The Debate Rages On," Legal Matters, The Enterprise newspaper, June 2014
- "Do Expanded Prior User Rights Under AIA Even the Playing Field," Legal Matters, The Enterprise newspaper, June 2013
- "Patent Reform: A Boon for Nimble Startups," Legal Matters, The Enterprise newspaper, Dec. 2011
- "How to Avoid Rejection at the Patent and Trademark Office," Utah CEO magazine, Apr. 2010
- "Everything Under the Sun but… Business Method Patents Take a Blow," Utah Business magazine, Mar. 2009
- "New Challenges for Patenting Software and Business Methods," Legal Matters, The Enterprise, Feb. 9-15, 2009
- "An End to Business Method Patents?" Business Connect magazine, 2008
- "Fighting Software Piracy in Cyberspace: Legal and Technological Solutions," Law & Policy in International Business Journal, 28:2
- Panelist, "The View From My Chair: What I Expect from a Law Clerk or Associate," University of Utah, S.J. Quinney College of Law, March 2014
- Presenter, “What Every Company Needs to Know about the New U.S. Patent Laws,” 2014 China Intellectual Property & Innovation Summit, Hangzhou, China, March 2014
- Presenter, "Impact of the America Invents Act (AIA) on Daily Patent Prosecution in the U.S.: Avoiding Risks and Sidestepping Pitfalls," 8th Annual Corporate Intellectual Property Conference, Shenzhen, China, 2013
- Presenter, "Strategies for Obtaining U.S. Patents and Increasing ROI in View of Recent U.S. Patent Reforms and Global Considerations," 7th Annual Corporate Intellectual Property Conference, Guangzhou, China, 2012
- Presenter, "How Understanding USPTO Internal Procedures and Recent Initiatives Can Lead to Stronger and More Cost-Efficient Patents," 2011 International Seminar of Application and Protection Practice of Intellectual Property, Beijing, China
- Co-Presenter, "Bilski Round Two: What Is Patentable in Light of the Supreme Court's Recent Decision?," Stoel Rives LLP, Salt Lake City, Nov. 18, 2010
- Presenter, "A Behind-the-Scenes Look at the U.S. Patent Office: Tips for Obtaining Patents from Rejection-Prone Examiners," Stoel Rives LLP, Salt Lake City, Jan. 28, 2010
- Presenter, "Unlocking the Secrets of the U.S. Patent Office: Strategies for Maximizing Value and Avoiding Pitfalls," Combined Meeting of the Shenzhen Intellectual Property Office and Shenzhen IP Society, Shenzhen, China, Nov. 17, 2009
- Panelist, "In re Bilski: What Can You Patent Now?" Oregon Patent Law Association and Oregon State Bar Computer & Internet Law Section Joint Meeting, Portland, 2008
- Lecturer, "Patent and Trademark Law for the Entrepreneur," Entrepreneur's Law School, Small Business Development Center, Salt Lake City, 2005
- Panelist, "Software Patent Protection in the United States," Past, Present, and Future of E-Commerce, Internet Distribution, and Computer Law Conference, Center for International Legal Studies, Suffolk University, Boston, 2005
- Panelist, "Intellectual Property Management," 2005 Micro Nano Breakthrough Conference, Portland State University, Portland, 2005
- Member, Utah State Bar Intellectual Property Section: chair, 2011; vice chair, 2010; secretary, 2009
- Member, Board of Directors, American Lung Association (Utah), 2012-
- Member, Board of Trustees, Utah Technology Council, 2005-2009
- Member, Board of Directors, Friends for Sight, 2004-
- Voting member, Electronic and Computer Law Committee, American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., cum laude
Associate Editor, Law & Policy in International Business Journal
- University of Utah, B.S., Computer Science, magna cum laude
Chapter president, Tau Beta Pi engineering honor society
Print to Word
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. District Court for the District of Utah
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court