James M. Shore
Jim Shore is a partner of the firm with over 25 years of experience in labor and employment law. His practice encompasses all aspects of labor and employment law, including labor law (dealing with unions), wrongful termination, discrimination and harassment, contract negotiations, arbitrations, trade secrets and restrictive covenants, wage and hour law, and business acquisitions and reorganizations. He has represented all types of private and public employers in federal and state court litigation and before administrative agencies, including the National Labor Relations Board, Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, Department of Labor, numerous state human rights commissions and the Office of Federal Contract Compliance. He is a member of the Washington, Oregon and California bars.
In addition to his private practice, Jim served as in-house counsel and director of labor relations for a major Northwest corporation. This perspective influences Jim's philosophy to proactively partner with his clients to most effectively address their business and personnel issues.
- Successfully represented the employer before the Washington Supreme Court in Roe v. TeleTech, in which the Court determined that Washington's Medical Use of Marijuana Act did not provide the basis of a public policy wrongful discharge claim or otherwise require workplace accommodation. Also successfully represented the employer at the trial court and Court of Appeals levels.
- Successfully defended an investment advisory firm in a breach of employment contract lawsuit in the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington, and obtained a six-figure recovery for the client on its counterclaims.
- Successfully obtained summary judgment in favor of McDonald's Corporation in a sexual harassment and negligence lawsuit filed by a former franchisee's minor employee and her family in King County Superior Court. Successfully briefed and argued the case before the Washington Court of Appeals, which unanimously affirmed the trial court's decision.
- Successfully obtained summary judgment in favor of McDonald's Corporation in a sexual harassment and multiple tort lawsuit filed by an employee in Montana State Court.
- Successfully argued numerous motions for temporary restraining orders and preliminary injunctions prohibiting former employees and client competitors from misappropriating trade secrets or violating noncompetition agreements.
- Successfully defended a major grocery distributor in a breach of contract lawsuit filed by an employee in the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington.
- Obtained a jury verdict in favor of a major airline in a disability discrimination cased filed in the U.S. District Court for the District of Oregon.
- Successfully defended a major grocery chain in a sexual harassment case filed by an employee in Humboldt County Superior Court in California.
- Successfully defended numerous public and private sector employers in arbitrations with unions concerning employee discharge and contract interpretation matters.
- Successfully represented a college in an appeal to overturn an arbitrator's award. The published court decision created new law concerning overturning an arbitrator's decision.
- Successfully represented numerous private and public sector employers in EEOC, NLRB and other federal and state labor and employment law agency proceedings.
- Acted as lead labor law attorney on numerous union contract negotiations.
- Acted as lead labor and employment law attorney on numerous national and multinational corporate transactions.
Professional Honors & Activities
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America® (currently: Employment Law-Management, Labor Law-Management, Litigation-Labor & Employment), 2013-2014
- Selected as one of "America's Leading Lawyers for Business" (Washington) by Chambers USA (currently: Labor & Employment), 2008-2013
- Listed in Washington Super Lawyers® (Employment & Labor), 2009-2011, 2013
- AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated with Martindale-Hubbell®
- Ranked among Washington's top labor and employment lawyers by CEO magazine
- "High Times: Marijuana and the CBA," 37th Annual Collective Bargaining and Arbitration Conference, Seattle, Washington, Apr. 2014
- "Employment Policies and Procedures," I-502 Impacts on Business and Real Estate Transactions, Law Seminars International, Seattle, Washington, June 2013
- "Service Contract Act: What You Need to Know" and "Health Care Reform Update and Collective Bargaining," Health Care Reform and Advanced Employee Issues, Stoel Rives LLP Seminar, Anchorage, Alaska, May 2013
- "Marijuana: Exploring Current Workplace Issues," Risk Management Society Washington Education Forum, Mar. 2013
- "Hot Topics in Employment Law," 11th Annual Labor and Employment Law Conference, SHRM Oregon State Council, Feb. 2013
- "Ethical Implications of Legalized Marijuana and the Workplace," Employee Benefits Planning Association Education Program, Feb. 2013
- "Employer Accommodation of Medical Marijuana and Prescription Drugs," The Seminar Group, Feb. 2012
- "Blacklisting: 2011--Non-Competition, Trade Secrets, Proprietary Information and Duty of Loyalty" (coauthor, presenter), ERR Committee of the ABA Labor and Employment Law Section 2011 Mid-Winter Conference, San Juan, Puerto Rico, Mar. 2011
- "Medical Marijuana: Is an Accommodation Required in the Workplace?" 10th Annual Labor and Employment Law Conference, WSBA, Nov. 2010
- "Managing the Risks of Social Media in the Workplace," Stoel Rives Breakfast Seminar Series, Apr. 2010
- "Termination Without Tears," Stoel Rives Breakfast Seminar Series, Oct. 2008
- "Getting Your Foreign Affairs in Order: An Immigration Enforcement Update," Stoel Rives Breakfast Seminar Series, Feb. 2008
- "Standing Up to the Competition," 69th Annual Northwest Human Resource Management Association National Conference, 2007
- "Workplace Communication Technology: See, Hear and Speak No Evil," Stoel Rives Breakfast Seminar Series, 2007
- "Anatomy of an Effective Employment Contract," The Seminar Group, 2007
- "24: Responding to Employee Off-Duty Conduct," Stoel Rives Employment Law Seminar, Oct. 2006
- "Hot Topics in Labor and Employment Law for Hospitals," South Central Washington Healthcare Human Resources Association, 2006
- "Standing Up to the Competition: Protecting Your Workforce, Customer Base and Trade Secrets," Stoel Rives Breakfast Seminar Series, 2006
- "'Can I Fire This Employee?' Responding to Your Client's Termination Crises," WSBA Employment Law Institute, 2005
- "Sarbanes-Oxley and Whistleblowers," WSBA Employment Law Institute, 2004
- "Interviewing and Hiring: Keeping Your Recruitment Strategies Legal" and "Documentation and Record-Keeping: Drafting Lawful Policies and Procedures and Maintaining Personnel Records," The Definitive Guide to Employment Law for HR Professionals in Washington, 2003
- "Termination Without Tears," HR Northwest Breakfast Briefing, 2003
- "Employment Law Update," South King County Chapter of SHRM, 2003
- "Preserving Employer Discretion Through Proactive Policies, Handbooks and Practices," Discharge, Documentation and Employee Handbooks in Washington Seminar, Lorman Seminar Group, 2002
- "Employment Law Update: Practical Training for Current Issues in Washington," Lorman Seminar Group, 2002
- "Legal Update," West Sound SHRM Chapter, 2002
- "Effective Planning and Management Layoffs," Lorman Seminar Group, 2002
- "Limiting Workplace Violence: Effective Management of Volatile Employees," Lorman Seminar Group, 2002
- "Handling Workplace Violence: A Collaborative Approach to Protecting Your Organization from Liability & Your Employees from Harm," Washington Personnel Law Update, 2001
- "What to Do When Performance Issues and Reasonable Accommodation Obligations Collide," Stoel Rives Labor & Employment Seminar, 2001
- "Minimizing the Risk of Employment Litigation," Puget Sound Hospitality Human Resources Association, 2000
- "Employment Law for In-House Counsel and General Practitioners" and "Representing High Technology Companies" (presenter, program chair), King County Bar, 1999-2001
- "Top Ten Ways to Get Sued by Your Employees and How to Minimize the Risk," Bainbridge Island Chamber of Commerce, 2000
- "Recruitment Solutions," Washington Bankers Association HR Conference, 2000
- "Investigating Sexual Harassment Complaints and Other Alleged Employee Misconduct," Washington State Bar, 1999
- "Employee Handbooks and Personnel Policies," Washington State Bar, 1999
- "Don't Say You Didn't 'WARN' Them: Analysis of Federal Plant Closing Law," San Francisco Attorney , 1989
- "Attorney or Persuader: Analysis of Attorney Involvement in Combating Union Organizing Campaigns," San Francisco Attorney, 1989
- Board Member, Bainbridge Art Museum
- "The Smoke Clears: Zero-Tolerance Drug Policies Enforceable" (coauthor), Portland Business Journal, July 29, 2013
- "Labor Relations for Health Care Employers: Turbulent Times Call for Careful Measures Across Providers" (coauthor), Health Care Law Roundtable, The Advisory Board Company, Mar. 2013
- "Clearing Up the Smoke for Washington Employers Post-Election," Law360, Nov. 13, 2012
- "Non-competes in the Electronic Workplace: Solicitation in the Age of Social Media" (coauthor), prepared for the ERR Committee of the ABA Labor and Employment Law Section, 2012
- Regional Editor, Employment at Will: A State-by-State Survey, a publication of BNA Books and the ABA Employment Rights and Responsibilities Committee, Section of Labor and Employment Law
- "Medical Marijuana and the Workplace," Washington Healthcare News, May 2012
- "Using Physician Non-compete Agreements in Washington," Washington Healthcare News, Dec. 2010
- Hastings College of the Law, University of California, J.D., 1987, magna cum laude
Hastings Law Journal, 1985-1987
Order of the Coif
- New College of University of Florida, B.A., 1983
Print to Word