Jerome L. Rubin
Jerry Rubin is a partner of the firm practicing in the Labor and Employment group. He concentrates his practice in labor and employment law including NLRB proceedings, union negotiations, equal employment and discrimination claims before agencies and courts, employment at will, Federal Contractor Compliance, wage and hour issues, unemployment and workers' compensation cases, general personnel management and OSHA. Jerry has been admitted to the fellowship of the College of Labor and Employment Lawyers.
Prior to joining Stoel Rives, Jerry was with Schweppe, Krug & Tausend from 1975 to 1989 as head of the labor and employment department. Jerry also served as the Chief Trial Attorney for five years in the Seattle office of the National Labor Relations Board.
- Represented Louis Dreyfus Commodities in federal court and arbitration involving ILWU member claims of racial discrimination. The arbitrator ruled that there was no liability for discrimination and dismissed all of plaintiff's claims.
- Represented Good Samaritan Hospital in a wage-and-hour labor arbitration dealing with rest breaks under Washington State law. The arbitrator ruled in favor of the employer in a case of first impression that will have a significant benefit for all Washington employers.
- Represented Farmers Insurance Company in a class action litigation regarding a disputed classification of independent contractors as employees.
- Represented The Jim Pattison Group in a variety of employment matters, including a case of successorship litigation and unfunded pension liability. The Jim Pattison Group, Canada's third-largest privately held company, has more than 35,000 employees, and annual sales of $9.1 billion. With investments in Canada, the U.S., Mexico, Europe, Asia and Australia, The Jim Pattison Group is involved in a wide variety of industries including TV and radio stations; car dealerships; grocery store chains; magazine distribution; flexible, rigid, and specialty packaging; advertising; real estate development; fishing; financial services; and entertainment.
- Represents Estenson Logistics, a nationwide trucking company, in union issues throughout the United States.
- Provided Varsity Contractors counseling, union avoidance and litigation services in all 50 states. Varsity Contractors, with 30,000 employees, provides integrated facility, janitorial and constructions services nationwide, with over 200 million square feet under contract.
- Represented Swedish Medical Center in labor negotiations involving approximately 6,500 nurse, technical, service and maintenance employees. As a result of these negotiations the employer was able to switch from a defined benefit to a defined contribution pension plan, as well as to achieve for the first time employee sharing in the cost of health insurance premiums. All of this was achieved without a strike or work stoppage.
- Represented Mor Furniture for Less in a major union organizing campaign by the Teamsters in Washington and California. Mor Furniture for Less has 15 showrooms and 10 warehouses in 12 stores in seven western states.
- Worked as the firm's client lead for McDonald's Corporation in eight states.
- Served as the national labor and employment counsel for Savers, Inc., a 50-year-old company that operates 200 Savers, Value Village and Village des Valeurs stores in the U.S., Canada and Australia. Its stores employ more than 7,000 people in 25 states, 10 Canadian provinces and Australia.
- Represented Longview Fibre, a major Northwest timber products company, on union and employment issues at multiple facilities throughout the United States.
Professional Honors & Activities
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America® (currently: Employment Law-Management, Labor Law-Management, Litigation-Labor & Employment), 2003-2006, 2009-2015
- Selected as one of "America's Leading Lawyers for Business" (Washington) by Chambers USA (currently: Labor & Employment), 2004-2014
- Listed in Washington Super Lawyers® (Employment & Labor, Class Action/Mass Torts, Employment Litigation: Defense), 2003, 2006-2014
- Member, Labor Law Section, chair, 1978-1979; chair, Pacific Coast Labor Law Conference, 1977-1978, King County Bar Association
- Member, Trial Practice and Administrative Law Sections, Washington State Bar Association
- Member, Labor and Employment Law, International Law and Litigation Sections, American Bar Association
- "Employment Law for Nonprofits," Stoel Rives LLP Seminar, Seattle, Washington, May 2014
- "Health Care Reform Update and Collective Bargaining," Health Care Reform and Advanced Employee Issues, Stoel Rives LLP Seminar, Anchorage, Alaska, May 2013
- "Hot Labor Law Issues for Employers," Corporate Roundtable Series, Stoel Rives LLP, Jan. 2007, Mar. 2013
- "NLRB's Expanding Agenda," Employment Law Beyond the Basics, Sterling Education Services, Seattle, Washington, Aug. 2012
- "Getting Your Foreign Affairs in Order: An Immigration Enforcement Update," Stoel Rives LLP Seminar, Feb. 2008
- "Your Local Forecast," Stoel Rives LLP Employment Law Seminar, Oct. 2006
- Business Roundtable
- Business Forum
- Black and White Ball, Seattle Art Museum
- Advisor, Seattle Children's Home
- Member, Seattle Schools First Committee
- Guest lecturer, University of Washington School of Law and Seattle University School of Law
- Villanova University School of Law, J.D., 1969
- University of Virginia, B.A., 1966
Print to Word