Henry H. Hewitt
Henry Hewitt is Senior Counsel to the firm. He was a partner from 1975 through 2011. His practice emphasizes general business advice, acquisitions, financings, and corporate governance. Henry served as chair of Stoel Rives from 1989 to 1999 and again from 2002 to 2005. He led the Firm's Business Services Practice Group from 2005 to 2009.
During his career, Henry has been the principal legal advisor to the boards of directors of Tektronix, PacifiCorp, Fred Meyer, Electro Scientific Industries, Sequent Computer Systems, Medford Corporation and other public and privately owned companies.
Board and Corporate Business Experience
- Board Member, Hampton Resources, 1997-present. Chair of Personnel and Compensation Committee.
- Board Member, Columbia Forest Products, 1999-present. Chair of Compensation Committee.
- Board Member, Bank of the Cascades, 2004-present. Member of Nominating and Governance Committee (former chair), Member of Compensation Committee.
- Executive Vice President, Finance and Administration, PacifiCorp, 1998-1999.
- Board Member, Medford Corporation, 1983-1987.
Professional Honors & Activities
- Selected as one of "America's Leading Lawyers for Business" (Oregon) by Chambers USA (currently: Corporate/Mergers & Acquisitions), 2012
- Selected by Best Lawyers as Corporate Compliance Law Lawyer of the Year, Portland, 2012
- Named the Best Lawyers' Corporate Governance and Compliance Lawyer of the Year, 2011, Portland, Oregon
- Selected as an Oregon Super Lawyer, Business-Corporate
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America® for the past 30 years.
- Recognized as a Senior Statesman in Corporate/Mergers and Acquisitions (Oregon) in "America's Leading Lawyers for Business" by Chambers USA (2011). Chambers has described Henry as "the dean of corporate law" in Portland and "always available and always able to put the legal pieces together in a way that meets compliance and business requirements." The 2010 edition of Chambers noted that Henry "is respected as 'a giant figure in Oregon; a superb lawyer with high profile and superb clients.' His recent work has involved issues relating to board governance, acquisition strategy and executive compensation."
- Oregon Area Jewish Community Learned Hand Lifetime Achievement Award, 2012
- Oregon State Bar Award of Merit, 2005
- Henry H. Hewitt Access to Justice Award, 2006
- Oregon State Bar James B. Castles Leadership Award, 1999
- Oregon State Bar President's Public Service Award for volunteer law-related services to the public, 1998
- Life member, board of trustees, Willamette University, chair, 1995-2003
- Emeritus member, board of directors, Lawyers' Campaign for Equal Justice, chair, 1991-2006
- Co-chair, Columbia River Crossing Task Force
- Member, board of directors, Oregon Health & Science University, 2003-2007
- Chair, Oregon Transportation Commission, 1993-2000
- Chair, board of directors, JELD-WEN Tradition Foundation (Champion Tour Golf Tournament)
- Member, board of directors, Friends of the Children-Portland, chair, 2006-2008
- Member, board of directors, PacifiCorp Foundation
- Vice chair, Oregon Resource & Technology Development Corporation
- Member, board of trustees, Oregon Graduate Institute
- Member, board of directors, The Library Foundation (Multnomah County)
- Member, board of directors, Oregon Symphony Association
- Chair, board of directors, Lewis and Clark Chapter of March of Dimes
- Chair, Lawyers' Section, United Way Campaign
- Vice chair, Martin Luther King, Jr. Scholarship Fund of Oregon
- President, Yale Alumni Association of Oregon
- Chair, Delaunay Mental Health Association
- Willamette University College of Law, J.D., 1969, summa cum laude
- Yale University, B.A., 1963
Print to Word