Ryan S. Gibson
Ryan Gibson is a litigation associate practicing in the firm's Labor and Employment group. Ryan's litigation and advice experience includes all aspects of employment-related issues including discrimination, wage and hour, disability discrimination, accommodation and family leave, individual employee liability, arbitration, and enforcement of non-compete and non-solicitation agreements. Ryan has represented Oregon employers in federal and state courts, in arbitrations and mediations, and in administrative proceedings including before the Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industry (BOLI), the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), and National Labor Relations Board (NLRB).
Ryan is also an administrator and frequent contributor to Stoel Rives' employment law blog, the Stoel Rives World of Employment Law, which LexisNexis named as one of the best labor and employment law blogs in the country in 2011.
In his litigation and employment law practice Ryan benefits from his professional experiences before joining Stoel Rives in 2008. He worked in Washington, D.C. on international public policy and nuclear non-proliferation and arms control, both at the U.S. Department of State where he held a Secret security clearance and at the non-profit Carnegie Endowment for International Peace. Later, he worked for approximately 8 years in several software and computer companies in Oregon, Intel, McAfee, and Tektronix.
Before joining Stoel Rives and during law school, Ryan worked in the Multnomah County District Attorney's office, where he prosecuted dozens of misdemeanor cases before juries, judges, and in civil commitment hearings.
Professional Honors & Activities
- Listed among Rising Stars (Employment & Labor), Oregon Super Lawyers®, 2014
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Multnomah Bar Association
Publications and Presentations
- Presenter, "Grabbing Wage and Hour Issues by the Horns," SHRM/Stoel Rives 13th Annual Labor and Employment Law Conference, Mar. 2015
- Author, "Ninth Circuit Upholds Wage and Hour "hybrid" Class and Collective Action Claims," The Verdict, 2013 Issue
- Presenter, "Employment Agreements from Soup to Nuts," Annual SHRM & Stoel Rives Employment Law Conference, Feb. 2013
- Presenter, "Back to School: Employment Law Hot Topics and Updates," Breakfast Briefing Series, Sept. 2012
- Presenter, "Hot Topics in Employment Law," Annual SHRM & Stoel Rives Employment Law Conference, Mar. 2012
- Presenter, "2011-12 Oregon Legislative and Caselaw Update," Annual SHRM & Stoel Rives Employment Law Conference, Mar. 2011
- Author, "A Brave New World: Individual Liability Under Oregon's Aiding and Abetting Employment Discrimination Statute."
- Presenter, "2010-11 Employment and Caselaw Update," Annual SHRM & Stoel Rives Employment Law Conference, Mar. 2011
- Presenter, "Aiding and Abetting Discrimination and Individual Employee Liability in Oregon," Annual SHRM & Stoel Rives Employment Law Conference, Mar. 2010
- Presenter, "Layoffs and the WARN Act," Annual SHRM & Stoel Rives Employment Law Conference, Mar. 2009
- Presenter, "Family Medical Leave in 2008: Expanded Leave for Military Families and New Proposed Regulations," June 2008
- Author, "Back to the Basics: 'Me Too' Evidence After Sprint v. Mendelsohn", Oregon Association of Defense Counsel, Spring 2008
- "Family Leave and Leave as a Reasonable Accommodation," 12th Annual Labor and Employment Law Conference, SHRM Oregon State Council, Mar. 6, 2014
- "Getting Ready for Portland's New Sick Leave Ordinance," Stoel Rives Breakfast Briefing, Feb. 5, 2014
- "Getting Ready for Portland's New Sick Leave Ordinance," Stoel Rives Labor and Employment Seminar, Dec. 12, 2013
- Lewis & Clark Law School, J.D., 2007, cum laude
National Champion Jessup International Law Moot Court team (2007)
Cornelius Honor Society
- Colorado College, B.A., 1994, cum laude
Phi Beta Kappa
University of Göttingen Fellowship, Germany (1993)
Print to Word
- U.S. District Court, Oregon
- 9th Circuit Court of Appeals