Anthony J. DeCristoforo
Anthony DeCristoforo is a partner in the firm's Labor and Employment group. His employment litigation practice focuses on the representation of employers and supervisors in disputes in state and federal courts, as well as in administrative proceedings and arbitrations. Tony has extensive experience handling wage and hour class actions and claims for discrimination, wrongful termination and sexual harassment. He also advises employers on a wide range of employment-related issues, including wage and hour law, employment agreements, employee handbooks and statutory leave rights.
Tony's general litigation practice includes the representation of businesses and individuals in a variety of civil actions, including unfair competition, breach of contract and business tort lawsuits.
Prior to joining Stoel Rives, Tony was a partner (2001-2007) and an associate (1993-2000) with Wilke, Fleury, Hoffelt, Gould & Birney, LLP in Sacramento.
Recent Representative Work
- Represented fruit processing company in wage and hour class action alleging rest and meal period violations.
- Defended magazine distributor in wage and hour class action alleging off-the-clock work and claims of unreimbursed expenses.
- Successfully defended skilled nursing facility in lawsuit filed by former employee claiming disability discrimination and harassment.
- Defended consumer products company against claim of race discrimination brought by former executive employee.
- Represented global energy producer in action alleging workplace injury discrimination.
- Successfully defended furniture manufacturer against discrimination claim filed by former employee.
- Successfully represented large insurance underwriter in lawsuit involving alleged unfair competition and misappropriation of trade secrets.
- Defended manufacturing company in breach of contract lawsuit filed by former employee for alleged unpaid bonuses.
- Successfully defended software company in action for unpaid wages filed by former employee.
- Represented numerous businesses of all sizes in ADA access lawsuits filed by private litigants.
- Successfully defended various employers in administrative appeals of Cal/OSHA citations.
Professional Honors & Activities
- Member, State Bar of California
- Member, State Bar of California Labor and Employment Law Section
- Member, Sacramento County Bar Association
- Past member, Sacramento County Bar Association Labor and Employment Law Section, Executive Committee and Diversity Hiring and Retention Committee
- Judge pro tem, Sacramento County Superior Court, 2005-2009
- Volunteer attorney, Voluntary Legal Services Program of Northern California
- Past member, Milton Schwartz American Inn of Court
- "Hot Topics in Employment Law," 11th Annual Labor and Employment Law Conference, SHRM Oregon State Council, Feb. 2013
- "Hot Topics in Employment Law," Tenth Annual Labor and Employment Law Conference, SHRM Oregon State Council, Mar. 2012
- Employment Law Update, Anchorage, 2011
- Disabled Access Seminar, Tahoe City, 2011
- "Understanding the ADA and Title 24," Disabled Accessibility Workshop, Truckee, California, 2011
- Labor and Employment Law Conference, Portland, 2011
- "What to Expect if a Business is Sued for ADA Access Violations, and Strategies for Dealing with these Lawsuits," Disabled Accessibility Workshop: Understanding ADA and Title 24, 2011
- "Health Care Reform: Implications for Employers and Employer-Sponsored Health Plans," Sacramento, 2010
- "Wineries & Employment Law," Winery & Wine Distribution Law Conference, Napa, 2010
- "What Washington Employers Must Know About California Employment Law," Stoel Rives Breakfast Seminar Series, 2009
- "Getting Your Foreign Affairs in Order: An Immigration Enforcement Update," Stoel Rives Seminar Series, 2008
- Sacramento Area Commerce and Trade Association, Member Relations Committee
- American Council of Engineering Companies (ACEC) of California, Prevailing Wage Law Committee
- Past member, Board of Directors, Sacramento Children's Home
- Past member, Board of Directors, Jesuit High School Alumni Association
- "New Pregnancy Disability Leave Regulations Take Effect in California," World of Employment, Feb. 2013
- "Happy New Year: New Laws Affecting California Employers in 2013," World of Employment, Jan. 2013
- "California Legislature Prohibits Requesting Employee Social Media Passwords," World of Employment, Oct. 2012
- "California: New Requirements for Commission Agreements to Take Effect," World of Employment, Sept. 2012
- "California Supreme Court Clarifies Meal and Rest Break Requirements Under State Law," California Grocer, April 2012
- "California: Suitable Seating Class Actions on the Rise," World of Employment, Jul. 2011
- "California Overtime Rules Apply to Work Performed in California by Out-of-State Employees," World of Employment, Jul. 2011
- Interviewed by Inside Counsel, "Court Denies Privacy Rights in Company E-Mail System," Apr. 2011
- "California: Employee's E-Mails With Lawyer Are Not Privileged When Sent Via Company Computer," World of Employment, Jan. 2011
- Interviewed by Comstock's, "Litigation Litany," Oct. 2009
- "California DLSE Reverses Itself Regarding Schedule and Salary Reductions for Exempt Employees," World of Employment, Aug. 2009
- "California Supreme Court: No Privacy Violation for Employer's Placement of Video Camera in Employee's Office," World of Employment, Aug. 2009
- "Believe It or Not, It Is Possible to Fire Employees in California," Labor and Employment News, May 2007
- "Accommodating Disabilities in the Workplace - Don't Forget About Intellectual Disabilities," Labor and Employment News, May 2005
- "Sweeping Changes to Workers' Compensation," Labor and Employment News, Aug. 2004
- "Study of Jury Verdicts in California Employment Cases Yields Surprising Results," Labor and Employment News, May 2004
- "Employment Contracts: They're More Common Than You May Think," Labor and Employment News, May 2003
- "Employer Liability for Volunteers," Labor and Employment News, Aug. 2002
- Santa Clara University, J.D., 1993
- University of California Berkeley, B.A., 1989
Print to Word
- U.S. District Court for the Central, Eastern, Northern and Southern Districts of California