Michael K. Garrett
Michael Garrett advises clients on estate planning, probate, trust administration, charitable organizations and planned giving, individual and entity taxation, transactional work, and general business and corporate law matters.
His estate planning practice focuses on assisting high net-worth individuals with all phases of estate planning including creating of complex trusts, gifting, charitable giving, probate and guardianship issues, trust administration and disputes. He has represented small, medium, and large estates. In addition to drafting estate planning documents, developing gifting and comprehensive wealth transfer plans, filing probate documents, and preparing gift and estate tax returns, he assists clients in resolving family disputes, probate and trust litigation, and estate and trust administration matters. Additionally, he assists many estate planning clients in all aspects of charitable giving, including forming public charities, private foundations, charitable trusts, and other charitable tools, and he has represented many of the largest non-profit organizations in the region.
He also assists his clients with numerous general business and corporate matters, including addressing general business issues, real estate matters, advising on state and federal tax issues and controversies, mergers and acquisitions, sales, leases, and comprehensive succession planning. He regularly advises startup companies in matters involving entity selection, organization, tax planning, general business matters, and succession planning. He is also a frequent speaker and author on these topics.
Associate, Bennett Tueller Johnson & Deere, P.C., Salt Lake City, Utah (2003-2006); law clerk, Bennett Tueller Johnson & Deere, P.C., Salt Lake City, Utah (2001-2003); law clerk, Ernst & Young LLP, Washington D.C. (2002).
Professional Honors & Activities
- Listed among Rising Stars (Estate Planning & Probate), Mountain States Super Lawyers®, 2013-2014
- Member, Utah State Bar
- Member, Utah State Bar Estate Planning Section
- Member, Utah State Bar Tax Section
- Member, Salt Lake Estate Planning Council
- Listed in Utah Legal Elite – Wills, Trusts, and Estates, Utah Business Magazine, 2009-2012
- Member, Utah State Bar Estate Planning Legislative Committee (2011-present)
- Member, Utah Adoption Council (2009-2011)
- Past Member, Primary Children's Hospital Planned Giving Committee
- Organized and represented numerous tax-exempt charitable organizations
Presentations and Articles
- "The Ticking Tax Bomb: Is It Time to Find a Tax Shelter?," Enterprise Magazine, Salt Lake City, Utah, published August 2010
- "Oddities and Challenges in Probate Law," National Business Institute, Salt Lake City, Utah, February 24, 2009
- "Estate Planning and Asset Protection for Professionals," Wasatch Summit: Master the Business of Dentistry, Snowbird, Utah, June 68, 2008
- "Legal Issues for Emerging Businesses and Entrepreneurs: Choice of Business Entities", Salt Lake Community College, 3 hour seminar, May 7, 2008
- "Legal Issues for Emerging Businesses and Entrepreneurs: Partnership Taxation," Salt Lake Community College, 3 hour seminar, May 8, 2008
- "Legal Issues for Emerging Businesses and Entrepreneurs: Tax Issues for Sole Proprietorships," Salt Lake Community College, 3 hour seminar, April 10, 2008
- "Legal Issues for Entrepreneurs," Salt Lake Community College, December 11, 2007
- "Qualified Charitable Distributions from IRAs," Primary Children's Hospital Planning Giving Committee Meeting, November 12, 2007
- "Preparing for the Unknown: Buy-Sell Agreements" Connect Magazine, published March 2007
- "Recent Developments in Estate Planning with Retirement Plans," Stoel Rives Estate Planning Section In House CLE Meeting, Midway, Utah August 31, 2006
- "Estate Planning in Utah," Peterson Financial Client Appreciation Seminar, Provo, Utah, June 2006 and various other locations and times
- J. Rueben Clark Law School, Brigham Young University, J.D., 2003, magna cum laude
Lead articles editor, BYU Law Review, 2002-2003
- Brigham Young University, M.ACC, 2003
- Brigham Young University, B.S., 2000, accounting
Print to Word