Practicing in the firm’s nationally recognized renewable energy group, Mr. Susman is the Chair of Stoel Rives’ solar initiative. For more than 30 years, he has represented participants in wind and solar projects in every phase of development, operation, financing, and transfer. With a national reputation as one of the leading lawyers involved in the industry, Mr. Susman provides transactional advice and representation, focusing on project acquisition and sale, real estate, equipment procurement and performance, construction, operations, and insurance.
Among Mr. Susman’s frequent speaking engagements for lawyers and industry executives are presentations to the Solar Energy Industries Association, the Solar Electric Power Association, the American Wind Energy Association, Infocast Renewable Energy Conferences, the Association of Energy Engineers, the Real Estate Section of the State Bar of California, the UCSB Bren School for Environmental Science and Management, and the Institute of Management Consultants.
Before joining Stoel Rives, Howard was a partner at Duckor Spradling Metzger & Wynne (2001-2005). Previously, he was with Hillyer & Irwin (1982-2000) and served as its managing partner (1996-1999). He also was an attorney at Pacific Legal Foundation (1979-1981).
- Site control and power marketing for 102.5 MW wind project in California
- Agreements for construction, financing, sale, and operation of 136MW and 262MW Washington wind energy projects and associated interconnection facilities
- Supply agreements, power purchase agreements and site leases for multi-user/multi-tenant distributed generation photovoltaic projects
- Agreements for design, construction, financing and operations of 10MW, 20MW, 30MW and 250MW utility scale photovoltaic projects in CA, IL, CO, NM, and SC
- Agreements for retrofitting and service of 500 MW of wind turbines on multiple projects
Professional Honors & Activities
- Selected as a "Leader in the Field" by Chambers Global (Projects: Renewables & Alternative Energy - USA), 2011
- Selected as one of "America's Leading Lawyers for Business" (Nationwide) by Chambers USA (currently: Projects: Renewables & Alternative Energy), 2009-2014
- Council of Legal Advisors and Guest Lecturer, Bren School of Environmental Science and Management, UC Santa Barbara
- Board of Advisors, Energy Policy Initiatives Center, University of San Diego
- Past President and Director, Association of Business Trial Lawyers of San Diego
- Member, California and American Wind Energy Associations
- Member, Women of Wind Energy, San Diego Chapter
- Member, San Diego County Bar Association
- Certified Mediator
- University of San Diego, J.D., 1979
- University of California at Santa Barbara, B.A., Environmental Studies, 1975
Print to Word
- U.S. District Courts, California and Colorado
- U.S. Courts of Appeals, Ninth Circuit and Federal Circuit