Morten A. Lund
Morten Lund is a partner of the firm practicing in the Energy Development group. His experience includes a broad variety of energy transactions, with particular focus on the development and financing of renewable energy projects, including wind energy and solar energy projects. Morten's project finance background covers the spectrum of transactions involving wind and solar projects (both CSP and PV), including development, finance, acquisition and divestiture. He also has extensive experience with the construction, acquisition and/or financing of combustion generator projects, hydroelectric facilities, cogeneration facilities, nuclear energy facilities, biofuel projects and other energy projects. Morten has particularly strong experience in project finance construction documentation and complex power purchase arrangements. He has also been involved in a number of complex international financing transactions in both the energy industry and other sectors.
Morten was born in Oslo, Norway, and is a native speaker of Norwegian. He remains involved in Scandinavian transactions, including acquisitions and divestitures for Norwegian clients and representing American clients in joint ventures in Norway.
- Represented the developer of a large concentrating solar energy facility in Nevada, the largest solar energy facility to be built in almost 20 years. Advised the project developer about land rights management, power purchase arrangements, construction documentation, vendor agreements, financing and other development matters.
- Represented the developer of a series of 500kW-2MW solar systems in Arizona, California, Colorado, Nevada, New Jersey, Massachusetts and Connecticut. Advised the client about development and financing documentation.
- Represented more than a dozen solar developers ranging from startup to publicly traded, with specific focus on early-stage structuring (utility and retail), including requests for proposal responses, power purchase agreement/lease negotiations and creative pricing structures.
- Fifteen years of experience working with windfarm developers in New York, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, North Dakota, Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Illinois, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Idaho, Nebraska, Montana, New Mexico and California. Notable windfarm projects include Tatanka (ND), Judith Gap (MT), Buffalo Mountain (TN), Western New York Wind (NY), Cabazon (CA) and Goshen (ID).
- Represented a leading global wind turbine manufacturer in its initial market entry into the United States.
Other Renewable Energy Projects
- Represented the lender in the acquisition and repowering of a series of hydropower facilities.
- Represented developers of biomass projects in Wisconsin and Minnesota.
Traditional Energy Projects
- Represented the utility owners in the sale of two nuclear power plants, with particular focus on buy-back power purchase agreements.
- Represented the utility offtaker for a combined cycle gas plant project in tolling agreement negotiations.
- Represented an active nonregulated utility affiliate in the bidding, acquisition and financing of a series of energy assets, including two Pennsylvania coal facilities and a portfolio of New England hydropower facilities.
- Represented the utility offtaker for a coal plant in Michigan undergoing conversion to burn woodchips.
Morten is a frequent presenter on renewable energy matters. Recent examples include:
- Moderator, "The California Market Opportunity & Business Landscape" Infocast Distributed Solar Summit, Del Mar, California November 13, 2012
- Presenter, "Solar Projects in the US" SNEC PV Power Expo, Shanghai, China, May 17, 2012
- Panelist, "CEO Panel" SNEC PV Power Expo, Shanghai, China, May 16, 2012
- Panelist, "Solar Project Finance in a Post-1603 World," Solar Summit 2012, Phoenix, Arizona, May 1, 2012
- Moderator, "Banking & Finance Panel," PV/CSP Summit San Diego, California, Apr. 18, 2012
- Moderator, "Financing 2-20 MW Scale Projects," Power Finance & Investment Summit, San Diego, California, Mar. 1, 2012
- Speaker, "Neighborhood Clean Energy: Planning and Developing Local Renewable Energy Generation in California," The Environmental Law Section of the State Bar, USD, San Diego, California, Feb. 2, 2012
- Moderator, "Asset and Portfolio Capital Providers' Appetite for Investing in Distributed Solar," Distributed Solar Summit, San Diego, California, Dec. 2, 2011
- Moderator, "Long-Term Strategic Capital to Finance Industry Growth," Distributed Solar Summit, San Diego, California, Dec. 2, 2011
- Moderator, "Utilities' Latest Perspectives on Utility Scale Solar," Utility Scale Solar Summit 2011, San Diego, California, Sept. 2011
- Instructor, "Solar EPC and Long-Term Component Supply," EUCI Law of Renewable Energy Series Webinar, Mar. 28, 2011
- Moderator, "The Search for Company Capital: Solar Developer Perspectives," Solar Power Finance & Investment Summit 2011, San Diego, Mar. 21-24, 2011
- Briefing chair, Third Annual Utility Scale Solar Summit, San Diego, Sept. 13-15, 2010
- Principal Development Documents and Development Risks," Intersolar North America 2010, San Francisco, California, July 15, 2010
- "The Making of a Solar Power Purchase Agreement," ASES National Solar Conference 2010, Phoenix, Arizona, May 21, 2010
- "Special Issues in Renewable Project Non-Financial Contracts," Risk Identification and Allocation in Renewable Energy Forum, Infocast Project Finance Tutorial, New York, New York, Apr. 26-28, 2010
- "Utilization of the DOE Loan Guarantee Program for Wind Projects," Infocast Wind Power Finance & Investment Summit, Rancho Bernardo, California, Feb. 10-12, 2010
- Panel Moderator, "Perspectives of Petrochem Refiners and Major Bio-Processors on the Bio-Based Chemicals Value Chain and Market," Infocast Bio-Based Chemicals Summit, San Diego, Feb. 8-10, 2010
- "The Tax Incentive Seminar," Hosted by The Solar Energy Council, Irvine, California, Nov. 19, 2009
- "Solar Power Project Development," The Seminar Group, San Diego, Oct. 22, 2009
- Panel Moderator, "CSP Project Developers: Strategies for Financing a Growing Project Pipeline," Utility Scale Solar Summit 2009, San Diego, Sept. 14-16, 2009
- "Illuminating Solar Finance, Shedding light on the Essential Elements of Financing Solar Projects," Pace Energy and Climate Center, Pace Law School, New York, Sept. 10-11, 2009
- "Pricing Strategies and Negotiating Power Purchase Agreements," Geothermal Finance & Investment Summit, Palm Springs, California, Nov. 17, 2008
- "Negotiating Project Documents," Solar Development Tutorial, San Diego, Nov. 7, 2008
- "Impacts of RPS & Other Initiatives on Project Developments in the Midwest," Opportunities in Midwestern Renewable Energy, Minneapolis, Oct. 7, 2008 (Panel discussion)
- "Renewable Energy Financing," What's Fueling the Renewable Energy Industry in Michigan, Troy, Michigan, Apr. 17, 2008
- "Jagged Rocks of Wisdom - Negotiation: Mastering the Art of the Deal," Fine Print Press, June 2011
- "How To Avoid Fatal Flaws At Closing," North American Windpower, August 2009
- "Jagged Rocks of Wisdom – The Memo: Mastering the Legal Memorandum," Fine Print Press, May 2009
- "Jagged Rocks of Wisdom: Professional Advice for the New Attorney," Fine Print Press, March 2007
- Yale University, J.D., 1995
- Augustana College, A.B., 1992
Print to Word