Wally Van Valkenburg is the Managing Partner of the firm's Portland office and is a past member of the firm's Executive Committee. He practices in the firm's Technology and Intellectual Property group, where he focuses on transactions and business counseling. Wally has represented technology companies on a variety of matters and in a variety of industry sectors for over 25 years, including electronic equipment, software, biotech and Internet services. Wally also has represented clients in a number of other industries, including footwear and apparel, sports and entertainment, health care, electric utilities, retail and wood products.
Wally's transactional experience includes mergers and acquisitions, licensing, strategic alliances and joint venture agreements, including technology transfers in connection with business formation and acquisition, web hosting and other Internet related agreements, joint development agreements and character licenses. He also assists companies with economic development opportunities in new markets.
Wally has extensive experience in antitrust and trade regulation, including issues arising in distribution of goods and services, trade associations, health care, joint ventures, competitor collaborations and representation of clients in the Hart-Scott-Rodino merger review process.
Wally was an instructor at Columbia University School of Law from 1982 to 1984, where he wrote a dissertation on constitutional theory and the First Amendment. After graduating from law school and before practicing law, he was a law clerk to Justice Edward H. Howell of the Oregon Supreme Court from 1978 to 1979.
- Represented leading manufacturer of test and measurement equipment in numerous technology transfer transactions, including licenses and other transfers in connection with acquisitions and dispositions valued at over $3 billion.
- Represented early stage manufacturer of building products in acquisition of license to core technology, including patents and know-how.
- Represented maker of footwear, apparel and equipment in negotiating and drafting various strategic alliances and intellectual property license agreements.
- Represented licensor in license of a software platform for the operation and maintenance of information technology systems related to payment systems and networks.
- Represented leading manufacturer of production laser systems for micro-engineering applications in strategic alliance involving exclusive distribution of laser systems and future system development.
- Represented developer of software systems for budgeting and planning in negotiating a strategic alliance with a developer of financial and strategic planning software and consulting in the health care industry.
- Represented developer of system for online insurance enrollment and benefit administration in large-scale system licenses.
- Provided antitrust compliance advice concerning a broad range of commercial transactions, including joint ventures, strategic alliances, product distribution and technology licensing.
- Represented numerous clients in connection with merger reviews by the Federal Trade Commission and Department of Justice.
Professional Honors & Activities
- Selected by Best Lawyers® as Antitrust Law Lawyer of the Year, Portland, 2016
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America® (currently: Antitrust Law, Copyright Law, Litigation-Intellectual Property, Patent Law, Technology Law, Trademark Law), 2006-2017
- Selected as one of "America's Leading Lawyers for Business" (Oregon) by Chambers USA (currently: Intellectual Property), 2009-2015
- Listed in Who's Who in America and Who's Who in the World
- Prior general counsel for the 1998 NIKE World Masters Games
- Appointed by the Governor to chair the Oregon Economic and Community Development Commission, the mission of which is to encourage business expansion, creation and relocation in Oregon, 2003
- Member, Oregon Innovation Council, a state commission that oversees innovation and economic development in Oregon
- Board Member, Oregon Business Council
- Vice Chair (private sector), Greater Portland, Inc.
- Board Member, Portland Business Alliance
- Past Chair, Multnomah County Legal Aid Services
- Past Chair, Antitrust, Trade Regulation, and Unfair Business Practices Section, Oregon State Bar
- Past President, American Civil Liberties Union of Oregon
- "The First Amendment in Cyberspace," Oregon Law Review, 1996
- "The Judge as Referee: Opinions of Justice Edward H. Howell," Willamette Law Review, 1995
- Author of various legal and business publications dealing with technology, intellectual property and antitrust law
- Columbia University School of Law, LL.M., 1984
- Willamette University College of Law, J.D., 1978, summa cum laude
Editor in Chief, Willamette Law Journal
- University of Washington, B.A., 1975, cum laude
Print to Word