Tom Wood is a partner of the firm practicing in the area of environmental law. He has significant experience in the areas of air quality and hazardous waste permitting and compliance. Tom has counseled some of the leading industries in the United States on environmental permitting issues, commercial transactions and the interrelationships between the two. Tom also has extensive background in defending criminal and civil environmental enforcement actions including citizen suits and civil nuisance actions. Permitting and compliance projects have included work in the power generation, biofuels, primary metals, semiconductor, motor vehicle manufacturing, wood products, chemicals and oil and gas industries. These projects involved a wide variety of issues including new source review, Title V permitting, Title IV (acid rain) compliance, visibility requirements, air toxics and hazardous air pollutant regulations and RCRA air emission standards. Tom is the author of numerous articles on environmental issues and is a frequent lecturer on these topics.
While in law school Tom clerked with the U.S. Attorneys Office for the Eastern District of New York and was a judicial intern for the Honorable Judge Carol B. Amon, Eastern District of New York.
- BHP Billiton LNG International - permitting LNG terminal 14 miles off California coast.
- Weyerhaeuser Company - permitting significant modifications at multiple facilities to address hazardous air pollutant standards.
- Ash Grove Cement Company - permitting Greenfield cement plant 35 miles northeast of Las Vegas.
- Calpine Corporation - environmental counsel for several billion dollars in non-recourse financing involving collateral (plants) nationwide.
Professional Honors & Activities
- Selected by Best Lawyers as Environmental Law Lawyer of the Year, Portland, 2012
- Selected as an Oregon Super Lawyer, Environmental, 2009
- Selected as one of "America's Leading Lawyers for Business" (Oregon) by Chambers USA (currently: Environment), 2006-2012
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America® (currently: Environmental Law, Litigation-Environmental), 2009-2013
- Adjunct Professor, Lewis & Clark Law School
- Chair person, Associated Oregon Industries Air Subcommittee
- Chair, Stoel Rives Air Team
- "Advanced Air Topics," Northwest Environmental Conference, Portland, Oregon, Dec. 6-7, 2010
- 2002 Oregon Law Institute chapter on Air Permitting and Regulation,1994 Supplement chapter on RCRA
- "Environmental Issues in Mergers and Acquisitions," coauthor, updated chapter, Environmental Law for Oregon Practitioners
- EPA Revises New Source Review Rules, Sep. 2005
- EPA Boiler and Combustion Turbine Standards, Mar. 2005, Federal New Source Review Enforcement, Feb. 2002
- Vestry member, Sunday School teacher, and Youth Mentor, Trinity Episcopal Cathedral
- Chair, Board of Directors, Literary Arts
- Columbia Law School, J.D., 1993
- Stanford University, B.A., 1983, with distinction
Print to Word