Janet F. Jacobs
Janet Jacobs practices in the Corporate, Securities and Finance practice group and the Renewable Energy practice group. Janet represents alternative energy and clean technology clients in the development, structuring, financing and acquisition of a variety of clean energy projects, including biofuels, biomass, wind, solar, geothermal, tidal, energy efficiency and storage technologies. Janet has represented clients in negotiating development agreements, turbine supply contracts, development agreements, operation and maintenance agreements and REC brokerage agreements. Janet also advises clients on their business operations and significant corporate transactions including corporate reorganizations, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and other securities and financing transactions.
- Represents international wind developers in negotiating and drafting project documents.
- Represents a steel company in its acquisitions of recycling operations.
- Represents an agricultural cooperative in its acquisitions of dairy and other businesses.
- Represented an international wind company in structuring of joint venture in wind sector and preparation of project financing documents.
- Represented a global trading company headquartered in Tokyo in the acquisition of a solar energy solutions provider and the largest privately-held wholesale distributor of solar energy systems in the U.S.
- Represented an international bank in its acquisition of a California confectionery manufacturer; represented bank in its $60 million dollar acquisition of a heating equipment manufacturer with multi-state operations.
- Represented a national bank in a $25 million dollar loan to a fishing company for the acquisition and development of fishing facilities in Alaska; represents bank in commercial loan transactions.
- Represented a $3 billion revenue grocery wholesale cooperative on the acquisition of substantially all of the assets of a grocery wholesale cooperative.
- Represented biodiesel company on structuring and acquisition of facility; represented company in redemption of interests held by minority equity holder; represents company on joint venture with technology company.
- Represented two U.S. subsidiary companies in public offerings of UK parent companies on the AIM Market of the London Stock Exchange.
- Represented The Cobalt Group, Inc. in its 2007 and 2008 acquisitions of two on-line businesses.
- Represented wind energy company on the development of a new wind project in Washington and the negotiation of an EPC Agreement, a Balance of Plant Agreement and related documents.
- Represents life insurance broker in its international operations in Hong Kong, Singapore and other jurisdictions in Asia and Latin America; advising client in structuring operations in the Middle East.
Professional Honors & Activities
- Member, Washington State Bar Association
- Member, King County Bar Association
- Member, California State Bar Association
- Member, Law Society of England and Wales
- Smith-Doheny Legal Ethics Writing Award (Notre Dame Law School)
- "Selling, Buying and Investing in Distressed Projects," International Fuel Ethanol Workshop and Expo, 2010
- "Sustainability Options and Financing," Annual Washington Wine Law Seminar, 2010
- "The Stimulus Bill: Grants and Applications – The Process and the Pitfalls," Stoel Rives Webinar, 2009
- "A Law Update for Condominium Developers: Practical Advice for Dissolution and Cancellation of Limited Liability Companies," Stoel Rives Seminar, 2009
- "How the New Administration will Affect Clean Technology," Keiretsu Forum, 2009
- "Show Me the (Stimulus) Money," GreenBiz.com, 2009
- "Moderator, "Utilities' Perspectives in Utility Scale Solar," Utility Scale Solar Finance and Investment Summit, 2008
- Presenter, "Buying and Selling a Business in These Trying Times: The Ancillary Documents" Sterling Educational Services, 2008
- "A Guide to Community Solar: Utility, Private and Non-profit Project Development," (co-author) National Renewable Energy Lab, a national laboratory of the U.S. Department of Energy, December 2010
- "Clean Technology: Doing Business in Washington," WSBA publication, 2010
- "Show Me the Money – A Guide to Sources of Stimulus Funds, Second Edition" chief editor and co-author, Stoel Rives LLP, 2009
- "Energy Law Alert: More Funding Opportunity Announcements for Smart Grid," Stoel Rives LLP, Client Alert, 2009
- "Renewable Energy Law Alert: Washington Legislature Passes Bill to Expand the Energy Freedom Program," Stoel Rives LLP, Client Alert, 2009
- "Show Me the Money: DOE Announces Funding of up to $85 million for Algal and Advanced Biofuels," Stoel Rives LLP, Client Alert, 2009
- "Show Me The Money: Allocations Of $42.5 Million To Solid State Lighting," Stoel Rives LLP, Client Alert, 2009
- "Show Me the Money: $117.6 Million Deployed to Accelerate Solar Energy Technologies" Stoel Rives LLP, Client Alert, 2009
- "Show Me The Money: DOE Announces Funding of up to $85 million for Algal and Advanced Biofuels." Stoel Rives LLP, Client Alert, 2009
- "Show Me the Money – A Guide to Sources of Stimulus Funds, First Edition" chief editor and co-author, Stoel Rives LLP, 2009
- "Business Law Practice," Chapter XIII, chief author, Washington Lawyers' Practice Manual, 2009
- "Business Law Practice," Chapter XIII, chief author, Washington Lawyers' Practice Manual, 2008
- "Tax and Financial Incentives for Green Building," coauthor, Los Angeles Lawyer, January 2008
- "Tax And Government Incentives Promoting Sustainable Development In Oregon," coauthor, 2008
- "Tax And Government Incentives Promoting Sustainable Development In Washington," coauthor, 2008
- "Solar Project: Securing Your Place in the Sun," coauthor, Lex Helius: The Law Of Solar Energy, Stoel Rives LLP, 2008
- "Next Generation Biofuels," coauthor, The Law of Biofuels, Stoel Rives LLP, 2008
- "When Bad Projects Happen to Good People," coauthor, The Law of Biofuels, Stoel Rives LLP, 2008
- "SEC Announces Proposal to Update Executive Compensation Disclosure," coauthor, Stoel Rives LLP Client Alert, January 2006
- University of Washington School of Law, J.D., 2003, with honors
- London School of Economics and Political Science, London, England, LLB, 1976, magna cum laude
Print to Word
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of California
- England and Wales (non-practicing)