Joseph J. Perkins, Jr.
Joe Perkins is a partner of the firm in the Environment, Land Use and Natural Resources group. He focuses his practice on the representation of mining companies, oil and gas companies, Native corporations and financial institutions in connection with mining and oil and gas transactions, properties and projects. He also has been retained as an expert witness in cases involving complex questions of mining law, oil and gas law and professional responsibility.
Attorney, Guess & Rudd P.C., 1979-2008.
- Exploration agreements with options to lease between The Aleut Corporation and Full Metal Minerals (USA) Inc. respecting the Pyramid Project and other lands (represented The Aleut Corporation).
- Exploration agreement with option to lease between Doyon, Limited and Newmont North America Exploration Limited respecting the Mystery Mountains Project (represented Newmont).
- Exploration and option agreement among Millrock Resources Inc., Millrock Alaska LLC and Teck American Incorporated respecting the Estelle Project (represented Millrock).
- Exploration and option agreement among Millrock Resources Inc., Millrock Alaska LLC, Valdez Gold Inc. and Valdez Gold USA Inc. respecting the Bluff Project (represented Millrock).
- Exploration and option agreement among Millrock Resources Inc., Millrock Alaska LLC and Kinross Gold USA Inc. respecting the Council Project (represented Millrock).
- Mining lease with option to purchase between Greatland Exploration, Ltd. and Cedar Mountain Exploration (Alaska) Inc. respecting the Kelly Creek Project (represented Cedar Mountain).
- Boundary line agreement between Zazu Metals (Alaska) Corporation and Teck American Incorporated respecting the LIK Deposit (represented Zazu).
- Exploration agreement with option to lease among Ahtna, Incorporated, Raven Gold Alaska Inc. and International Tower Hill Mines Ltd. (ITH) respecting the Ahtell Prospect, Chisna Project (represented Raven and ITH).
- Representation of Full Metal Minerals Ltd. and Full Metal Minerals (USA) Inc. in connection with disputes arising under their mining lease from Alaska Hardrock, Inc. respecting the Lucky Shot Project.
- Exploration agreement with option to purchase between James Hansen, et al. and Millrock Alaska LLC respecting the Albion Creek Claims (represented Millrock).
- Representation of Hecla Greens Creek Mining Company, et al. in connection with Greens Creek Mine financing (including due diligence, title opinions, enforceability opinions and related matters).
- Preparation of acquisition title opinions for NordAq Energy Inc. respecting various Cook Inlet oil and gas leases.
- Sale by GeoPetro Alaska LLC of its Cook Inlet oil and gas leases and related assets to Linc Energy (Alaska) Inc.
- Preparation of acquisition title opinion and other representation of Niblack Project LLC in connection with certain title matters.
- Acquisition by Millrock Alaska LLC of interests in Estelle Project from Hidefield Gold (Alaska), Inc. and Mines Trust Co.
- Acquisition by Black Range Minerals Limited and Ranger Alaska, LLC of Jonesville coal assets.
- Sale by International Tower Hill Mines Ltd. and Talon Gold Alaska, Inc. of interests in Estelle Project to Millrock Alaska LLC.
- Exploration and option agreement and associated agreements among Bering Straits Native Corporation, Golden Glacier, Inc. and Millrock Alaska LLC (represented Millrock).
- Preparation of acquisition title opinion and associated curative documents for Armstrong Cook Inlet, LLC in connection with its acquisition of oil and gas leases in North Fork Unit.
- Preparation of drilling title opinions for ConocoPhillips Alaska, Inc., Anadarko Petroleum Corporation, Brooks Range Petroleum Corporation, and other oil and gas companies respecting North Slope oil and gas leases and Cook Inlet oil and gas leases.
- Acquisition by Pacific Energy Resources Ltd. of Alaska assets of Forest Oil Corporation, including delivery of both enforceability opinion and title opinions.
- Sale by Hanson Industries, Inc. of Goodnews Bay Platinum Mine.
- Acquisition by Anglo American U.S. Holdings Inc. of interest in Pebble Limited Partnership, including delivery of title opinions and general assistance on transaction.
- Sale by GCO Minerals Company of its interest in the LIK Project, including delivery of title opinions and assistance on transaction.
- Oenga v. United States (Fed. Cl.) - Representation of intervenors BP Exploration (Alaska) Inc. (operator of the Prudhoe Bay Unit) and other PBUA working interest owners in dispute with lessors of surface of Native allotment used as drilling and production pad.
- Representation of Teck-Pogo Inc. (new industrial customer of Golden Valley Electric Association, Inc. (GVEA)) in connection with special contract and subsequent complaint against GVEA.
- ConocoPhillips Alaska, Inc.. v. State Dep't of Natural Res. (Alaska) – Represented ConocoPhillips, Exxon Mobil and Forest in discovery royalty case.
- Representation of Fairbanks Gold Mining, Inc. (FGMI) (industrial customer of GVEA) in rate case.
- Acquisition of Calder Mine by Select Resources Corporation, Inc.
- Acquisition by the Four Dam Pool Power Agency from the Alaska Energy Authority of the Terror Lake, Solomon Gulch, Lake Tyee and Swan Lake hydroelectric projects.
- Alaska United Fiber Optic Cable financing.
- Newmont Alaska, Ltd. v. McDowell (Alaska) – Represented Newmont in case involving deficient mining claim rental payments.
- Exploration agreement and option to lease between Doyon, Limited and Ventures Resource Corporation (represented Ventures).
- Fort Knox Mine financing.
- Red Dog Mine financing and refinancing.
- Acquisition by BP of interests in Milne Point Unit.
- Acquisition by FGMI of major permits for the Fort Knox Mine.
- Special contract between GVEA and FGMI for the purchase of electric power for the Fort Knox Mine.
- Cambior Inc. gold loan and hedging facility.
- BP Prudhoe Bay royalty trust.
- Proposed ANWR land exchange between United States and Gana A'Yoo Ltd.
- Acquisition of interests in Greens Creek Mine by Amselco et al.
- Production payment financing between Phillips Petroleum Company and Chase Manhattan Bank, N.A.
Professional Honors & Activities
- Selected by Best Lawyers® as Anchorage Natural Resources Law Lawyer of the Year, 2013, 2015
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America® (currently: Mining Law, Natural Resources Law, Oil & Gas Law), 1995-2015
- Selected as one of "America's Leading Lawyers for Business" (Alaska) by Chambers USA (currently: Environment, Natural Resources & Regulated Industries), 2008-2014
- AV Peer Review Rated by Lexis-Nexis Martindale Hubbell
- Listed in Super Lawyers for Alaska (currently: Energy and Natural Resources, Environmental), 2007-2010
- E. George Rudolph Distinguished Visiting Professor of Law, University of Wyoming College of Law, Spring 2007
- Member, Environmental and Natural Resources Law, Native Law, Real Estate Law and Business Law sections, Alaska Bar Association
- Member, Third Judicial District Fee Dispute Resolution Division and Area Discipline Division, Alaska Bar Association
- Member, Environment, Energy and Resources; Public Utility Law; Business Law and Administrative Law sections, American Bar Association
- Member, Alaska Miners Association
- Member, Resource Development Council for Alaska
- Member, Yellowstone-Bighorn Research Association
- "Mining Title Due Diligence: The Basics," Due Diligence in Mining and Oil & Gas Transactions, Rocky Mt. Min. L. Fdn. (Denver, 2010)
- "Permitting projects in Alaska in ways that enable successful due diligence reviews, commercial transactions, project authorizations, financings and development," 5th Annual Conference on Energy in Alaska, Law Seminars Int'l (Anchorage, 2009)
- "Liability of Lawyers to Non-Clients for Negligent or Questionable Advice or Opinions: Exposure, Defenses, Current Judicial Views, and Ethical Considerations," Mineral Title Examination IV, Fundamentals for Practice in the 21st Century, Rocky Mt. Min. L. Fdn. (Denver, 2007)
- "Landscape as Memory, Mirror and Lens: One Lawyer's Look at Three Centuries of Public Land Law and Natural Resources Law," University of Wyoming College of Law (2007)
- "Conflicts in Alaska Between Surface Owners and Mineral Owners," Alaska Association of Petroleum Landmen (Anchorage, 2004)
- "Liability of Lawyers to Non-Clients for Negligent or Questionable Advice or Opinions: Exposure, Defenses, Current Judicial Views, and Ethical Considerations," 43rd Annual Rocky Mt. Mineral L. Inst., Rocky Mt. Min. L. Fdn. (Portland, 1997)
- "Native Tribal Sovereignty in Alaska," ABA Workshop on Public Lands and Mining Issues (Scottsdale, 1992)
- "Impact of Imposition of Rents on State Mining Claims in Alaska Under § 6(i) of the Alaska Statehood Act," ABA Workshop on Public Lands and Mining Issues (Scottsdale, 1991)
- Organizer of and speaker at the following CLE presentations sponsored by the Alaska Bar Association: "Natural Resources Law for Beginners and the Curious" (1993),; "Mining Agreements and Conveyances" (1990),; "A Primer on Alaska Lands" (1990);, "The Public Trust Doctrine in Alaska" (1986) and; "Mining Claims in Alaska" (1983)
- "The Great Land Divided But Not Conquered, " 34th Annual Rocky Mt. Mineral L. Inst., Rocky Mt. Min. L. Fdn. (Seattle, 1988)
- Pro bono counsel, Acquisition by Great Alaska Council, Boy Scouts of America, of permanent access easements for Denali High Adventure Scout Base
- Board member, President 2006-2010, Anchorage Library Foundation
- "Mining Alaska's Mining History and Finding Some Hidden Nuggets in the Stream," presentation to Cook Inlet Historical Society, 2008
- "Joseph Rudd (1933-1978)," presentation to Alaska Miners Association upon induction of lawyer Joseph Rudd into Alaska Mining Hall of Fame, 2004
- Former member, Municipality of Anchorage Parks and Recreation Advisory Commission
- Former member, Chugach State Park Citizens Advisory Board
- "Mining Title Due Diligence: The Basics," Due Diligence in Mining and Oil & Gas Transactions, Paper No. 14, Rocky Mt. Min. L. Fdn. (2010)
- Coauthor, "Liability of Lawyers to Non-Clients for Negligent or Questionable Advice or Opinions—Exposure, Defenses, Current Judicial Views and Ethical Consideration," 43 Rocky Mt. Min. L. Inst. 7 (1997), updated and reprinted in Mineral Title Examination IV (RMMLF 2007)
- "The Great Land Divided but Not Conquered: the Effects of Statehood, ANCSA and ANILCA on Alaska," 34 Rocky Mt. Min. L. Inst. 6 (1988)
- Coauthor, "Alaska Lands and Mineral Interests," 3 Am. L. of Mining, chs. 70-73 (2d ed. 1984)
- University of Denver College of Law, J.D., 1979
- Princeton University, B.S.E., geological engineering, 1976, with high honors
Print to Word
- Alaska Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the District of Alaska
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit