Our team of tax attorneys and litigators knows county and state property tax law in localities throughout the West and Minnesota. We bring a strong understanding of tax assessment rules and tactics, and business strategies to offset them, as we guide you through property tax and valuation disputes. We’ll advise you on minimizing tax liability through negotiation, and we’ll help you weigh the impact on valuation and assessment as you make improvements to property. We’re familiar with valuation methods and financial reporting standards for industrial plants, equipment and facilities of all types, and our relationships with assessing authorities benefit our clients.
We help our hospital, nonprofit and other health care clients with tax exemption, public benefit and charity care issues that can affect the bottom line.
- Negotiation with assessing authorities
- Advice on incentive and exemption programs
- Analysis of valuations and allocations of value
- Consideration of tax limitation and timing rules
- Counsel on central versus local assessment
- Obtaining advance rulings
- Representation at administrative appeals and hearings
- Trial and appeal representation
When disputes lead to litigation, we’ll represent you in administrative appeals and hearings before local boards and tax tribunals and through alternative dispute resolution, trial and appeal. We have ready access to appraisers, valuation specialists and other experts who we’ll bring to your defense as we vigorously negotiate and advocate for your position.
Sometimes, the best solution is a legislative change. We are well connected in our markets and have the technical insights to get the best long-term result.