Our Utility Solutions Team counsels electric, hydropower, natural gas, telephone, water and renewable energy utilities on state and federal regulatory compliance, rate issues, construction and expansion plans, day-to-day operations issues, and plant siting, permitting and abandonment. We represent numerous investor-owned utilities, utilities owned by public entities and merchant power plants throughout the U.S.
Our Utility Solutions Team offers a complete range of services through our cross-firm energy solutions practices. Together, we offer additional, differentiating energy industry experience in the areas of environmental compliance and defense, OSHA and MSHA regulation, corporate transactions, project finance, contracting, real estate development, and Endangered Species Act negotiation and agreements—all integral to utility development and growth.
Since many of our clients are large regional utilities operating in multiple states, we have developed excellent working relationships with the regulatory commissions across a wide swath of the U.S. We’ve handled numerous rate cases and other proceedings before them, so we know the people and their processes and can effectively navigate through their systems. This represents a significant advantage for utilities operating throughout the U.S.
- Rate cases before state and federal regulatory commissions
- Certificate proceedings
- Siting and permitting hearings and dispute resolution
- Condemnation disputes
- Representation in proceedings before NERC and regional coordinating councils including Western Electricity Coordinating Council (WECC) and Midwest Reliability Organization (MRO)
- FERC proceedings, rate and tariff cases, and FERC and CFTC compliance
- Merchant power plant permitting
- Bond and tax equity financing of power infrastructure construction and expansion
- Power purchase agreement negotiation and documentation