Our corporate, litigation and insurance policy advisors are a cross-discipline team that advises on contract negotiations and commercial transactions involving port authorities, bulk handling facilities and related air and sea transportation companies. Our clients include some of the busiest ports in the U.S., including seaport and airport operators in Washington, Oregon and California and related trade associations. While our experience is with clients on the Pacific Coast, we’re recognized nationally for our capabilities and leadership.
We partner with you on project reviews and approvals, as well as regulatory challenges, arising under the Endangered Species Act (ESA), the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA), the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) and the Clean Water Act (CWA). With former port and regulatory agency employees on our team, we’re respected by port authorities and public agencies that know we understand the relevant law and regulatory agency processes. Our deep experience with the federal, state and local regulatory frameworks governing project permitting and compliance, contaminated sediments, and brownfields allows us to advocate effectively for you in venues where economic development and environmental protection interests converge.
- Advocacy and litigation in response to ESA listing petitions, critical habitat designations and Section 7 consultations
- Counsel on local, state and federal permitting related to CWA or Clean Air Act compliance
- Counsel on shoreline and other development approvals, including CEQA, NEPA and the State Environmental Policy Act
- Counsel on hazardous waste rules, Brownfields redevelopment and cost recovery
- Real property and water rights acquisition and transactions
- Counsel on harbor maintenance and deepening programs
While our national reputation derives, in part, from success achieved in significant, high-profile litigation such as citizens’ suits, representation of ports in public trust litigation and water boundary litigation, our team handles all manner of disputes whether in mediation, arbitration, trial or appeal.