Oil and gas is one of our primary industry sectors, served through a large interdisciplinary team. We’re consistently ranked by U.S. News - Best Lawyers® "Best Law Firms" as national leaders in oil & gas law and have received additional accolades from Chambers USA for providing counsel in legal areas important to this segment: environmental, natural resources, corporate and litigation. Our clients are major participants in the oil and gas processing and distribution chain:
- Oil and gas companies
- LNG facilities
- Offloading and storage terminals
- Crude oil receiving and distribution hubs
- Fuel storage, handling and transport companies
- Intrastate and interstate pipeline operators
- Alaska Native Corporations
- Industry trade organizations
We advance your objectives across the cycle of project development and operation: financing, site certification, land use, permitting, environmental compliance, contracts and agreements, construction, transactions, and litigation relating to any of these activities.
- Compliance and enforcement defense regarding all relevant environmental statutes
- ESA and critical habitat designation challenges and negotiations
- Federal, state, Alaska Native and tribal lands rights-of-way and regulatory compliance
- Land use, title and permitting issues
- Eminent domain and condemnation
- FERC compliance and defense
- Gas storage title opinions on public and private lands
- Advice on all manner of oil and gas agreements and contracts, including master service, construction, O&M, pipeline easement, franchise, distribution, sales and supply chain
- Project financings
- Corporate transactions
- Litigation, mediation and arbitration
Siting and Permitting
Our counsel spans the Clean Water Act, ESA, marine mammals and fisheries protections, and federal and state environmental protection statutes. For projects that cross tribal lands, we secure rights-of-way and help with unique regulations involving development on and adjacent to reservations. We have deep experience with FERC compliance and defense, and proceedings before federal and state regulators.
Our team works on domestic and international energy-related transactions involving buying, selling, expanding and leasing oil and gas resources, project financings, joint ventures, construction and distribution agreements. We’ve represented financial institutions, infrastructure developers and energy companies on these deals. We conduct regulatory, environmental and land use due diligence for purchasers, sellers and lenders involved with major fuel facility transactions. We also have extensive experience with the laws and regulations surrounding Alaska’s oil and gas production tax, royalties, leasing and unitization, and the full range of federal and state tax issues that apply to oil and gas development.
We defend project proponents against the complete range of criminal and civil enforcement actions and third-party lawsuits. Our experience and reputation as a major energy industry law firm is a significant advantage when negotiating with regulators or presenting your case in any venue.