Eric focuses his practice on the core transactional areas of real estate and natural resources, and has assisted clients with a wide array of issues. Eric’s practice includes representation of land owners in the development, transfer, and leasing of commercial, industrial, mineral, and residential properties.
Eric has extensive experience conducting oil and gas title examinations and preparing title opinions covering fee, state, and federal lands. Eric’s experience also includes calculating and reviewing sophisticated landowner royalty, overriding royalty, and nonparticipating royalty interests. Additionally, he performs due diligence in connection with acquisitions and divestiture of both up-stream and mid-stream assets.
Eric also advises clients in the mining industry on a host of regulatory matters affecting the industry from exploration through to production, closure, and reclamation. His experience uniquely informs his ability to counsel clients on a variety of legal issues.
Eric advises clients on regulatory compliance and in complex commercial litigation. He has represented clients in a broad range of matters, including business and environmental disputes.
In addition to his work at Stoel Rives, Eric worked as a landman where he prepared ownership reports, created division orders, and performed acquisition due diligence. During law school Eric served as a legal intern at the U.S. EPA where he participated in pending settlements and litigation relating to the enforcement of the Clean Water Act; the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act; and the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act.
- Assisted commercial developer in the acquisition of real estate in Colorado
- Advised landowners in right-of-way negotiations relating to a major intrastate pipeline project in Oregon
- Assisted corporation in acquisition of cold storage facility in Washington
- Assisted ski resort in acquiring conditional use permit to open new areas of property to recreational activities
- Advised land owner in railroad right-of-way property dispute
- Assisted solar power producer with real estate finance due diligence and closing
Oil and Gas
- Rendered title opinions on producing and non-producing oil and gas properties
- Advised clients regarding compliance with CEQA and SB 4 well stimulation permitting law
- Advised clients on acquisition due diligence, including the sale of mid-stream assets and facilities
- Assisted clients in the drafting and negotiating of surface use agreements
- Advised clients on the expansion of federal oil and gas units
- Advised landowners on oil and gas lease agreements
- Assisted clients in defending landowner royalty disputes
- Advised oil and gas developers on underground wastewater disposal projects
- Advised mining corporations on proposed federal land exchanges pursuant to FLPMA
- Assisted mining corporations in defending property right disputes
- Advised clients on vested rights determination under the Surface Mining and Reclamation Act
- Advised investment company on due diligence issues for acquisition of mineral rights and unpatented mining claims at rare earth mine in Southern California
- Assisted timberland companies in the purchase and sale of timberland in Oregon and Washington
- Advised timberland companies in acquisition due diligence and closing of multiple timberland acquisitions
- Advised clients on response/reporting obligations for petroleum spills
- Advised clients on compliance with the California Aboveground Petroleum Storage Act
- Advised commercial developers on compliance with RCRA waste disposal regulations
- Advised commercial fishing companies on compliance with California Fish & Game Code and California Department of Fish & Wildlife regulations
- Advised manufacturing company on compliance with labeling requirements under Proposition 65
- Advised manufacturing company on compliance with California Rigid Plastic Packaging Container Law
Expand to Read More +
See Less -
- Assisted commercial developers in litigation related to the acquisition of commercial real estate in Northern California
- Assisted in the defense of an aggregate quarry operator at trial in trespass action brought by gold dredging company seeking disgorgement damages in excess of $10 million
- Assisted in defense of agricultural supply company against product liability claims
- Assisted in defense of manufacturing company against Proposition 65 labeling claims