A central aspect of Stoel Rives' strategic vision is the firm's commitment to recruit, develop and retain attorneys of diverse backgrounds and characteristics. Listed below are some of the ways Stoel Rives implements its commitment through recruiting events and outreach activities.
- 1L Diversity Fellowships: We are proud to offer annual 1L Diversity Fellowships to first-year law students in many of our offices. Recruitment for our 2017 1L Diversity Fellowships is now complete and we are no longer accepting applications. Please check back in late 2017 for information on next year’s 1L Diversity Fellowship opportunities.
- Second-Year Law Students: The application process for all other 2L recruiting for the 2017 Summer Associate Program is now closed. If you are a first-year law student who is interested in applying for a 2018 Summer Associate Position, please view our 2017 On-Campus Interview Calendar or visit our website on May 1, 2017, for application instructions.
- Summer Associate Program. In 2016 Stoel Rives had 24 summer associates, over 55 percent of whom were diverse. The Seattle office participates in the University of Washington School of Law's Gregoire Fellows Program, the Sacramento office participates in the Sacramento County Bar Association Diversity Fellowship Program, the Minneapolis office participates in the Twin Cities Diversity in Practice 1L Summer Rotation Clerkship Program, and the firm recruits annually at job fairs such as the Northwest Minority Job Fair.
- Twin Cities Diversity in Practice. Stoel Rives is a member of Twin Cities Diversity in Practice, an organization through which corporate law departments work together to support efforts to attract, recruit, advance and retain attorneys of color in the Minneapolis-St. Paul legal community. Our Minneapolis office is actively involved with this organization.
- OnRamp Fellowship. In September 2015 Stoel Rives announced its partnership with OnRamp Fellowship, the first “Returnship” program ever launched in the legal profession. The OnRamp Fellowship was established to provide experienced women lawyers re-entering the profession with an opportunity to update their skills and contacts through paid, one-year Fellowships with major law firms. With the new partnership, Stoel Rives has expanded the Fellowship program to three new markets for the first time—Portland, Salt Lake City, and Seattle—with additional Fellowship opportunities expected in other markets in which the firm has a presence, including Anchorage and Sacramento. Our hope is that the one-year Fellowship these women lawyers will transition into permanent positions. More information can be found here and here.
- Opportunities for Law in Oregon (OLIO). Our firm has consistently been a major sponsor of the OLIO conference, a program that encourages minority students to attend Oregon law schools and provides academic and social support to help them succeed. In addition to financial support, the firm's sponsorship includes providing attorney faculty members, staff volunteers and leadership at the conference. We also participate in other activities throughout the year, including acting as presenters at the retreat for incoming law students, sponsoring employment workshops, conducting mock interviews, assisting with the legal writing and bar exam workshops, and supporting OLIO's annual fundraiser.
- High School Programs. For more than nine years, Stoel Rives has supported local high school internship programs in Oregon and Seattle. These programs provide low-income students with mentored internships, experiential learning activities and valuable work experience. Many of the students who participate in these programs would not be able to attend a college preparatory school without our firm's support.
- Diversity Section of the Idaho State Bar. Stoel Rives was a major sponsor and an organizer of the Inaugural Reception for the Diversity Section of the Idaho State Bar. The event was well attended by local attorneys and law firms, corporate law departments, law school professors and students, and regional diversity leaders.
- Sponsorships. Stoel Rives participates in a variety of organizations that embrace and promote diversity. Click here for a sampling of organizations and events we are proud to support.