Thomas R. Wood
Tom Wood is a partner of the firm practicing in the area of environmental law. He has significant experience in the areas of air quality and hazardous waste permitting and compliance. Tom has counseled some of the leading industries in the United States on environmental permitting issues, commercial transactions and the interrelationships between the two. Tom also has extensive background in defending criminal and civil environmental enforcement actions including citizen suits and civil nuisance actions. Permitting and compliance projects have included work in the power generation, biofuels, primary metals, semiconductor, motor vehicle manufacturing, wood products, chemicals and oil and gas industries. These projects involved a wide variety of issues including new source review, Title V permitting, Title IV (acid rain) compliance, visibility requirements, air toxics and hazardous air pollutant regulations and RCRA air emission standards. Tom is the author of numerous articles on environmental issues and is a frequent lecturer on these topics.
While in law school Tom clerked with the U.S. Attorneys Office for the Eastern District of New York and was a judicial intern for the Honorable Judge Carol B. Amon, Eastern District of New York.
- Permitting of multiple power plants in California, Oregon, Nevada and Washington.
- Permitting and compliance work for multiple cement plants in Washington, Oregon, Nevada, Idaho, Texas, Arkansas, Kansas and Nebraska.
- Permitting and compliance work for steel and nonferrous metals foundries and forges in West Virginia, New Hampshire, Ohio, Michigan, Texas, California, Oregon, Nevada, Pennsylvania, Kentucky and Washington.
- Permitting of LNG terminal 14 miles off California coast.
- Civil enforcement action under Clean Air Act for alleged PSD and NSPS violations involving 8 states and EPA Headquarters.
- Permitting and compliance work for multiple wood products manufacturing facilities in Louisiana, Arkansas, North Carolina, Montana, California, Washington and Oregon.
- Permitting and compliance work for multiple semiconductor fabs in Oregon.
- Criminal enforcement action against heavy equipment manufacturing company for alleged NESHAP violations.
- Numerous Clean Air Act Section 114 responses on behalf of companies across the U.S.
- Numerous voluntary self-disclosures for violations of Clean Air Act and Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know Act
- Defense of nuisance odor allegations at several major manufacturers.
Professional Honors & Activities
- Selected by Best Lawyers as Environmental Law Lawyer of the Year, Portland, 2012
- Selected as an Oregon Super Lawyer, Environmental, 2009
- Selected as one of "America's Leading Lawyers for Business" (Oregon) by Chambers USA (currently: Environment), 2006-2014
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America® (currently: Environmental Law, Litigation-Environmental), 2009-2014
- Associated Oregon Industries Environmental Excellence Award, 2011
- Adjunct Professor, Lewis & Clark Law School
- Chair person, Associated Oregon Industries Air and Energy Committee
- Board of Directors, Air and Waste Management Association, Oregon Chapter
- Chair, Stoel Rives Air Team
Representative Presentations and Articles
- “Clean Air Act Regulation and Biomass Fuels,” Pacific Northwest Timberlands Conference, Portland, Oregon, April 2014
- "Advanced Air Topics," Northwest Environmental Conference, Portland, Oregon, Dec. 2013
- “Boiler MACT Compliance Challenges,” Air & Waste Management Association Conference, Seattle, Washington, May 2013
- “Environmental Permitting Considerations for Natural Gas Development,” Natural Gas Development Conference, Seattle, Washington, March 2013
- 2013 Oregon Law Institute chapter on Air Permitting and Regulation
- “Greenhouse Gas Regulatory Developments and Trading Mechanisms,” National Council for Air & Stream Improvement, Vancouver, Washington, September 2008 (Best Presentation Award)
- “Geologic Carbon Sequestration: Property Rights and Regulation,” Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Institute, Aspen, Colorado, July 2008
- EPA Revises New Source Review Rules, Sep. 2005
- EPA Boiler and Combustion Turbine Standards, Mar. 2005, Federal New Source Review Enforcement, Feb. 2002
- Board of Directors, Literary Arts
- Columbia Law School, J.D., 1993
- Stanford University, B.A., 1983, with distinction
Print to Word