Kris J. Ormseth
Kris Ormseth's practice emphasizes general business advice, acquisitions, debt and equity financings, and corporate governance. He currently serves as the office managing partner for the firm's Boise office, and previously held that position from 2003 until 2009. Kris has extensive experience on a wide range of legal and business issues, including structuring joint ventures and strategic alliances, negotiating and documenting commercial transactions, developing equity compensation plans, advising boards of directors and assisting distressed companies in workout and restructuring transactions.
In addition to representing significant public and private businesses in manufacturing, energy, technology, health care, financial services, real estate development and other industries, Kris also devotes a portion of his practice to representing promising emerging businesses. He has been listed for a number of years in Chambers USA and The Best Lawyers in America, and as a "Mountain States Super Lawyer" by Law & Politics magazine.
Prior to joining Stoel Rives, Kris was vice president, Landata, Inc. of Idaho (1992); general manager, Henry's Fork Lodge (1991); associate director, Stanford Sierra Camp (1985-1988); and software engineer, Candela Electronics (1984-1985).
- Represented one of the world's leading providers of computer memory and other advanced semiconductor products in a 50/50 joint venture with Australia's largest integrated energy company. The joint venture will focus on developing solar photovoltaic technology and products.
- Represented hospital in joint venture agreement with physician investors to acquire medical office building. Advised client on management and control issues and coordinated advice on tax and health care regulatory issues. Drafted offering memorandum and other documents for Regulation D Rule 506 securities offering.
- Represented wind farm developer in agreement with Fortune 100 energy company to jointly develop two utility-scale wind farm projects in southern Idaho.
- Represented distressed manufacturer in several rounds of negotiations with senior and subordinated lenders. Assisted in negotiations of forbearance agreements and restructuring plans. Representation included advising the board of directors on fiduciary duties in the face of insolvency, advising on creditor, employee and fraudulent transfer issues related to shutting down an unprofitable subsidiary, and bankruptcy law issues.
- Represented Fortune 500 financial institution in purchase and sale of numerous portfolios of credit card debt.
- Represented developer of high-end residential development in Valley County, Idaho. Drafted partnership agreement among principals of developer and joint venture agreement with financial investor. Continue to advise client on a variety of financial and other corporate issues.
- Advised nonprofit health care provider in conflict of interest and board governance matters.
- Advised principal shareholder in developing and implementing strategy to acquire control of outstanding voting stock of major manufacturing and marketing enterprise.
- Represented loan guarantor in the purchase of lender's note and collateral position followed by a surrender in lieu of foreclosure transaction with the debtor. Continue to provide advice concerning lien perfection and other debtor-creditor issues.
- Represented hospital in joint venture agreement with a separate hospital to provide medical services in remote location.
- Represented investors in structuring and negotiating joint venture for development of medical facility.
- Represented multistate developer of affordable housing projects in syndication of IRC section 42 affordable housing tax credits to institutional investors.
- Advised startup clean technology company, including advice on tax and securities issues in spinoff from parent technology company, equity incentive program and Series A financing.
- Represented startup financial services company in matters including choice of entity, shareholder agreements, key vendor and customer agreements, convertible note financing and Series A financing.
- Represented technology research and manufacturing firm in numerous matters, including joint development agreement for key new technology, licensing agreements and convertible note and Series A financings.
- Advised corporation on equity incentive program to retain key personnel during management transition.
Professional Honors & Activities
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America® (currently: Corporate Law, Mergers and Acquisitions Law), 2006-2013
- Selected as one of "America's Leading Lawyers for Business" (Idaho) by Chambers USA (currently: Corporate/Commercial), 2004-2012
- Listed in Mountain States Super Lawyers® since 2007
- Past Chair, Idaho State Bar, Business & Corporate Law Section
- "Crisis Management: Planning for Response and Communication in a Crisis Event" (presenter), Best Practice Club, ACC Association of Corporate Counsel, Mountain West Chapter, Boise, Idaho, May 15, 2012
- "Negotiation Strategies and Tactics" (presenter), Best Practice Club, ACC Association of Corporate Counsel, Mountain West Chapter, Boise, Idaho, Apr. 22, 2011
Current Civic Activities
- Board of Directors, 2005-present, President, 2010, Women's and Children's Alliance
- Board of Directors and Executive Committee, Treasure Valley YMCA
- Board of Directors and Executive Committee, Boise Metro Chamber of Commerce
- University of California at Berkeley (Boalt Hall), J.D., 1991
- Stanford University, B.A., 1983
Print to Word