Elijah Watkins is an associate in the Trial section of the firm's Litigation practice group. His practice focuses on complex commercial litigation, including product liability antitrust, intellectual property defense, and securities litigation. Elijah has experience in both state and federal court litigation and appeals, as well as alternative forms of dispute resolution. He draws upon his previous experience as a corporate sales trainer for one of the nation's largest ADT dealers to better understand the litigation and business needs of his clients. In addition to his extensive client work, Elijah regularly provides pro bono counseling to domestic violence victims, political asylees and endangered children.
Prior to joining Stoel Rives, Elijah was an associate in the Chicago office of Latham & Watkins LLP (2009-2012), a summer associate at Latham & Watkins LLP (2008), and a summer associate at Vedder Price P.C. (2007, 2008).
- Member of the drafting team that obtained summary judgment for one of the largest regional hospitals in an antitrust suit brought by a former physician.
- Assisting in the representation of a global tactical clothing and implement company regarding complex contract disputes arising from defective products designed for first responders.
- Part of the trial team defending a U.S.-based multinational agribusiness company in Idaho federal court litigation arising from the contemplated acquisition of a potato processing plant in South America.
- Part of the trial team which secured a stipulated dismissal with prejudice for a South American mobile phone network provider in a multimillion-dollar action involving director and officer equity options.
- Assisted in defending helicopter parts manufacturer in products liability suit arising from crash involving multiple manufactures and cross-claimants nationwide.
- Assisted in the representation of one of the largest multinational heavy duty diesel engine manufactures in ongoing litigation and regulatory disputes regarding engine emissions design and document demands under the Freedom of Information Act.*
- Assisted one of the largest multinational automobile manufacturers in defending against class action claims regarding defective design of consumer automobiles.*
- Participated in multiple internal investigations for textile and oil companies under the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act for alleged violations occurring in China, Iran, and Syria.*
- Defended various investment banks providing comfort letters in connection with public offerings from third-party subpoena requests served by numerous classes of shareholders in derivative suits.*
- Successfully second-chaired and represented a board member during a probate bench trial to secure the rights to a multimillion-dollar entertainment business.*
- Secured the largest award of attorneys' fees to date in the Seventh Circuit on behalf of a political asylee from China under the Equal Access to Justice Act.*
- Achieved political asylum on behalf of a homosexual man from Colombia suffering abuse exclusively from his family members—a case of near first impression in Illinois.*
*This work was performed prior to joining Stoel Rives LLP
Professional Honors & Activities
- Recipient, Idaho Business Review's Accomplished Under 40, 2015
- Member, American Inns of Court, 2014-present
- Member, J. Reuben Clark Law Society, 2012-present
- Treasurer, Kickstand Board of Directors, 2012-present
- Member, Idaho State Bar, Litigation Section, 2012-present
- Member, Illinois State Bar, Litigation Section, 2009-present
- Charitable contribution of $25,000 donated to the Moffitt Cancer Center in recognition of pro bono services rendered to a non-profit South American housing developer.
- Vice-precinct representative, Precinct 1901, 2013-present
- Scoutmaster, Boy Scouts of America, 2013-2014
- Staff Attorney, Land of Lincoln Legal Services, 2008-2009
- "Enter the 'B' Corp.," Idaho Business Review, December 2012
- University of Illinois College of Law, J.D., 2009, magna cum laude
- Brigham Young University-Idaho, Organizational Communications, B.S., 2006
Student Body President
Print to Word
- U.S. District Court for the District of Idaho
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit