Andrea H. Thompson
Andrea Thompson focuses on representing employers in all areas of employment law, with an emphasis on defending lawsuits and administrative charges, and resolving employment-related disputes. Her experience covers litigating discrimination, retaliation, and whistleblower claims; wage-and-hour issues; workplace torts, such as wrongful termination; and contract disputes. She has defended health care organizations; manufacturing, technology, and forest products companies; higher education institutions; and nonprofit and public entities. Drawing on her litigation experience, Andrea also advises employers on litigation prevention strategies and practical legal compliance.
- Successfully defended health care provider in multimillion-dollar lawsuit alleging hostile work environment based on race, gender, and national origin discrimination; retaliation; negligent supervision; intentional infliction of emotional distress; family leave violations; and wage-and-hour violations.
- Obtained favorable pre-trial settlement for large regional health care system in $7 million age and gender discrimination and wrongful termination lawsuit.
- Obtained voluntary dismissal of lawsuit with zero-dollar settlement for large regional health care system in failure to accommodate disability discrimination claim.
- Obtained favorable resolution in advance of class certification in multistate collective action wage-and-hour lawsuit on behalf of assisted living and memory care centers.
- Obtained summary judgment dismissal for Fortune 500 manufacturer in federal failure to accommodate, family leave, and disability discrimination lawsuit.
- Successfully represented large North American forest products company in whistleblower administrative charge with simultaneous OSHA and DEQ enforcement actions.
- Obtained favorable resolution for Fortune 500 manufacturer in same-sex sexual harassment, workers’ compensation retaliation, protected medical leave retaliation, and wrongful termination lawsuit.
- Obtained summary judgment dismissal for high-tech manufacturer in wage-and-hour lawsuit involving discretionary incentive compensation and enforcement of employee separation agreement.
Professional Honors & Activities
- Listed among Rising Stars (Employment & Labor), Oregon Super Lawyers®, 2012-2015
- Co-Chair, Stoel Rives-SHRM Annual Labor and Employment Law Conference, 2013-2016
- Campaign for Equal Justice: Associates Committee, 2013-2016; Associates Committee Recognition, 2013
- Oregon State Bar Committees: Legal Services Committee, Secretary 2016, Member 2014-2016; Pro Bono Committee, 2010-2013
- Member, National Association of College and University Attorneys
- Member, Oregon State Bar and American Bar Associations, Litigation and Labor and Employment Sections
- Member, Oregon Association of Defense Counsel
- Member, Multnomah Bar Association
- Volunteer Attorney, Stoel Rives Pro Bono Night Clinic and U.S. District of Oregon and Ninth Circuit Pro Bono programs
- Stoel Rives Pro Bono Award, 2009-2010, 2013
Recent Presentations and Publications
- Speaker, “Effective Tips for Working With Outside Counsel,” SHRM/Stoel Rives 14th Annual Labor and Employment Law Conference, Mar. 2016
- Speaker, “What You Need to Know About Off-Duty Conduct & Employee Discipline,” SHRM/Stoel Rives 13th Annual Labor and Employment Law Conference, Mar. 2015
- Speaker, “Hot Topics & Legal Updates for HR Professionals in Higher Education,” Oregon College and University Professional Association for Human Resources Spring Conference, 2014
- Speaker, “Litigation 101: What Every HR Professional Should Know,” SHRM/Stoel Rives 12th Annual Labor and Employment Law Conference, Mar. 2014
- Speaker, “Effective Supervisory Practices,” Willamette Valley Higher Education HR Consortium Management Development Series, 2013-2014
- Speaker, “Ingredients and Substitutions: Practical ADA Inquiries,” SHRM/Stoel Rives 11th Annual Labor and Employment Law Conference, Feb. 2013
- Author, “Oregon Supreme Court Holds Employee’s Detrimental Reliance on Employer’s Statement Created Binding Job Offer,” The Verdict, 2013
- University of Oregon School of Law, J.D., 2008
Order of the Coif
- Portland State University, B.S., 2004, Sociology, summa cum laude
Print to Word
- U.S. District Court for the District of Oregon
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit