Brad Daniels is a partner in the Litigation practice group and is also active in the Property Tax section. His practice focuses on securities litigation, complex business litigation (including class actions, shareholder disputes, unlawful trade practices, and derivative cases), appellate litigation, and property tax issues. He has represented individual and corporate clients in state and federal courts and in Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) and other arbitrations.
Before joining Stoel Rives in 2004, Brad served as a law clerk to Judge Leonard B. Sand of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York and to Justice R. William Riggs of the Oregon Supreme Court.
- Obtained complete defense decisions for national securities broker in FINRA arbitration and federal litigation, as well as successful settlements of other matters.
- Obtained unanimous jury verdict in partnership dispute after two-week trial in Oregon state court.
- Represent Fortune 500 company in statewide consumer class action alleging unlawful trade practices
- Represented securities brokerage firm in state class action alleging violations of state securities fraud statutes.
- Successful motion to dismiss a derivative shareholder suit in federal court alleging stock option backdating.
- Successful appeal of a securities fraud class action in the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Represented national law firm in breach of fiduciary duty and securities fraud class actions in state and federal court.
- Member of trial team that defended national accounting firm in state court jury trial involving professional liability and malpractice claims.
Professional Honors & Activities
- Listed in Oregon Super Lawyers® (Business Litigation, Appellate, Securities Litigation), 2014
- Listed among Rising Stars (Business Litigation), Oregon Super Lawyers®, 2008-2013
- Executive Committee and Treasurer, Securities Regulation Section, Oregon State Bar
- Barrister and Executive Committee Member, Owen M. Panner American Inn of Court
- Board Member, Oregon Lawyers Against Hunger
- Board Member, March of Dimes of Oregon
- Member, Litigation Section, Oregon State Bar
- Member, Federal Bar Association
- Member, Multnomah County Bar Association
Publications & Speaking Engagements
- "The Securities Litigation Uniform Standards Act: A Guided Tour In and Around SLUSA," CLE Presentation, June 2013
- "Multiple-Shareholder, Closely-Held Corporations: Pitfalls and Pointers," Multnomah County Bar Association, CLE Presentation March 2012
- "Arbitration Brings Risks and Rewards," Portland Business Journal, Sept. 2011
- "Analyzing the Definition of "Covered Class Action" in the Securities Litigation Uniform Standards Act of 1998," Oregon State Bar Litigation Journal, Summer 2009
- Yale Law School, J.D., 2002
Articles Editor, The Yale Law Journal
- University of Oregon, B.A., 1997, summa cum laude
Print to Word
- U.S. District Court for the District of Oregon
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals